2001-Tue Apr 24 00:59:49 EDT 2018
Vetstreet. All rights reserved. Powered by Brightspot.
Vetstreet does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. See Additional Information ›
Vacuum and scrub all you want, but it takes just one flea to sneak in for a parasite invasion to begin. And once you have a flea infestation in your home, you won’t be able to clean quickly enough to keep up with the fast-multiplying insects,which can lay 40 to 50 eggs a day, unless you treat your pet. After a few weeks or months, that single flea can lay hundreds, even thousands, of eggs. If you have multiple pets, you’ll need to treat them, too. Save yourself the frustration and ask your vet for a flea-control product to help prevent infestations in the first place.
Flea larvae, eggs and pupae can hide practically anywhere: bedding, your clothing, furniture, baseboards, you name it. It doesn’t matter if your entire house has tile or wooden floors and you don’t have carpet in sight.
Not so fast. Your pet might not have any more fleas, but the adult fleas that feed on animals are only 5 percent of the problem. The other 95 percent of the fleas that invade are in other life stages: eggs, larvae and pupae. You have to get rid of them as well. And they’re not so easy to see. Some products target adult fleas, and others target fleas in different life stages. Ask your veterinarian for a safe and effective product that will kill all the fleas. And eliminating the infestation may take more than just a single application or dose. You may need to administer the product several times to wipe out the life stages as they develop. Depending on the severity of the infestation, you might also need to call an exterminator or treat your yard. Year-round control helps break the flea life cycle and prevent an infestation.
Although scratching is the No. 1 sign of fleas in cats and dogs, even if your pet is not itching, biting or chewing at his skin excessively, he could still have fleas. And itchy skin isn’t the only concern: Fleas can pass on other parasites and diseases like tapeworm and cat scratch disease.
A flea infestation is not something any pet or person should have to suffer through. Prevent one from happening by asking your veterinarian for a safe and effective flea-control product and using it as recommended.
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Take our breed quiz to find your next pet.
Bartonella is a type bacteria that can be transmitted to cats, dogs and humans from exposure to infected fleas and…
Want to give your pup yummy, low-calorie treats? We’ve got the skinny on which foods are OK to feed him.
Not sure about food puzzles? Our veterinarian reveals why the payoff for your pet is well worth any extra work.
With these simple dental care tips, you can help keep your canine’s adorable smile shiny and healthy for life.
The friendly and inquisitive LaPerm has an easy-care coat that comes in a variety of colors and patterns.
Check out our collection of more than 250 videos about pet training, animal behavior, dog and cat breeds and more.
Wonder which dog or cat best fits your lifestyle? Our new tool will narrow down more than 300 breeds for you.
If the video doesn't start playing momentarily,
please install the latest version of Flash.
Thank you for subscribing.