BERRIER™ J&H Canine
GENERIC NAME:Glucosamine + Chondroitin sulfate
Glucosamine and chondroitin has been prescribed to give your pet the building blocks necessary to repair damaged joint cartilage. As well, the anti-inflammatory properties of the ingredients will gradually build up to help support joint health in your pet. This product may be used in combination with others to achieve good results for arthritic pets. This product has also been used to treat cancer pain and may be of benefit in the treatment of lower urinary tract disease in cats. Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulfate is available in tablets, capsules, powders and oral liquids.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- Cartilage components harvested mainly from shellfish, but also from shark skeleton and cattle
- A nutraceutical (a nutrient with medicinal properties) with slow acting effects (weeks to months)
- Basic starting level for joint care
- Given by mouth
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- To improve joint function and help with pain relief in arthritic dogs and cats
- May be used in the treatment of lower urinary tract disease in cats
- May be used to treat cancer pain
- May be used in combination with NSAIDs or other drugs
- Not helpful in joint disease involving the vertebrae and intervertebral discs
WHAT DOGS/CATS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS PRODUCT?
Products vary greatly. Dosage experimentation may be necessary with the help of your veterinarian. Typically the pet starts therapy at a high dose and once effects have been noticed, the dose is reduced to a maintenance level.
Nutraceuticals are not regulated by the FDA. As such, they have not been required to go through the same rigorous testing for efficacy that drugs undergo. Many products on the market are high quality and are made by reputable companies. Consult with your veterinarian to choose a sound product for your pet.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- These products are usually well tolerated
- Clinically insignificant decrease in platelet function (blood clotting)
- Stomach upset is possible, but are usually mild and include flatulence and soft bowel movements
- High doses could enhance effects of anticoagulants
- If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE GIVEN WITH OTHER PRODUCTS/DRUGS?
- Yes, but interactions may occur with anticoagulants, aspirin, doxorubicin, etoposide, phenylbutazone or other drugs that influence platelet function.
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING THIS PRODUCT?
- When will your pet need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
As with all prescribed medicines, Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulfate should only be given to the pet for which it was prescribed. It should be given only for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulfate. If you have any questions or concerns about Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulfate or the condition it was prescribed for, contact your veterinarian.