Biomox® Oral Suspension
A broad-spectrum antibiotic commonly used to treat many bacterial infections in dogs and cats (ex. bite wounds, dental infections, respiratory tract, gastrointestinal and urinary tract infections). Amoxicillin is available as tablets or as an oral suspension.
WHAT IS THIS DRUG?
- A broad spectrum, synthetic member of the penicillin class; an antibiotic
- Given by mouth
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Because of its broad spectrum nature, it is useful against many bacteria infections and is frequently used when bacteria sensitivity is unknown
- Especially useful in anaerobic infections (those growing without oxygen)
- Often used in: bite wound infections, upper respiratory tract infections, dental infections, gastrointestinal tract infections, urinary tract infections
WHAT DOGS/CATS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION?
- Pets known to have had an allergic reaction to penicillin or another antibiotic before
- Use with caution in very small animals who may be dehydrated or have kidney or heart disorders
For liquids, shake well before accurately measuring the dose.
Give this medication with or without food.
Give medication as directed by your veterinarian. Read and follow the label carefully.
Give the exact amount prescribed and only as often as directed.
Give this medication for as long as your veterinarian directs. Finish the entire course of treatment.
Ideally, give the medication at the same time daily.
WHAT IF DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store suspension in the refrigerator. Discard reconstituted suspension in two weeks.
Store tablets at room temperature in a cool, dry place. Keep away from heat and direct sunlight.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets. Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
People with allergies to penicillins or beta-lactam antibiotics should not handle this drug since allergic reactions could occur from contact.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Nausea may be experienced. Give the medication with food to reduce effect
- Decreased appetite, drooling, diarrhea, vomiting
- Allergic reactions are rare, but if your pet shows irregular breathing, rash, fever, hives, scratching, puffiness or facial swelling, or anything else unusual, stop therapy and contact your veterinarian immediately
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
Yes, but possible interactions may occur with aspirin, chloramphenicol, erythromycin, tetracyclines, aminoglycosides, cephalosporins and probenecid.
Contact your veterinarian immediately if pet eats more than the prescribed amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING MEDICATION?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your pet need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- Risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your pet has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced digestive upset now or ever
- If your pet has experienced liver or kidney disease now or ever
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet's medicines can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant or nursing or if you plan to breed your pet
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
This is just a summary of information about amoxicillin. If you have any questions or concerns about amoxicillin or the condition it was prescribed for, contact your veterinarian.
As with all prescribed medicines, amoxicillin should only be given to the dog/cat for which it was prescribed. It should be given only for the condition for which it was prescribed.
Join the Conversation
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!