Benzoyl peroxide gel
Benzoyl peroxide gel is an antibacterial and keratolytic gel useful in dogs and cats for the topical treatment of such skin conditions as Demodecosis (red mange), acne or Schnauzer comedone syndrome (‘Schnauzer bumps’). Benzoyl peroxide gel will open and flush hair follicles and degrease oily coats. Benzoyl peroxide gel is available in a 5% strength, and is marketed in a 1 oz (30 g) tube.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- Benzoyl peroxide 5%
- A topical water-based gel
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Used to treat superficial bacterial infections, seborrhea, acne and other conditions where a keratolytic product might be helpful
- Causes drying and peeling
- Degreases oily, smelly and scaly coats
Read and carefully follow the directions provided by your veterinarian.
Cleanse affected area(s). Apply Benzoyl peroxide gel to affected area(s) once or twice daily.
Follow your veterinarian’s advice on the frequency of product application.
The frequency and length of use of this product depends upon the condition being treated and your animal’s response to the medication.
Systemic antibiotic treatment may also be necessary depending upon the severity of the condition.
The gel may be irritating. Discuss with your veterinarian if you should apply the product less frequently, or discontinue use.
As with any medicated gel, gloves should be worn when applying this product.
WHAT ANIMALS SHOULD NOT USE THIS PRODUCT?
- Benzoyl peroxide gel is not effective against parasitic infections (ie. fleas, ticks, etc.)
- Those with dry or sensitive skin
- Animals with a known hypersensitivity or allergy to benzoyl peroxide or any of the other ingredients
WHAT IF A TREATMENT IS MISSED?
If a treatment is missed, perform it as soon as you can. If it is already time for the next treatment, skip the missed treatment and go back to the normal schedule.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
For topical use only on dogs and cats.
Discontinue use if skin becomes irritated or inflamed.
May bleach or stain carpets and fabric.
Store at controlled room temperature (59-86°F).
Avoid getting it in your animal's eyes, ears or mucous membranes.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and animals. For external animal use only.
Wash hands and exposed skin after use.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Benzoyl peroxide is a strong degreasing agent that can be irritating and drying
- If you notice any unusual symptoms, discontinue use and contact your veterinarian
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE USED WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but if your animal experiences any unusual reactions when using multiple medications, contact your veterinarian.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS MEDICATION?Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your animal need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
- If your animal has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your animal has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give your animal, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your animal's medicines can be given together.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Most human products contain higher strengths (up to 10%) of benzoyl peroxide and should not be used as they can be very irritating to animals.
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve in 7 days or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medications, Benzoyl peroxide gel should only be used on the animal for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Benzoyl peroxide gel. If you have any questions or concerns about Benzoyl peroxide gel or for the condition it was prescribed, please contact your veterinarian.