Oral hygiene water additives
Your veterinarian has prescribed an Oral hygiene water additive for at-home use to reduce bad breath in your dog or cat. Some products help prevent the formation of dental plaque and calculus on your pet’s teeth as well. Veterinarians often send home an Oral hygiene water additives product with patients immediately following dental procedures in order to prolong the effects of the teeth cleaning. Oral hygiene water additives are available in several sizes.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- There are a wide range of ingredients found in these products: chlorhexidine, chlorine dioxide, enzymes, sorbitol, xylitol and zinc, etc.
- Oral hygiene water additives are sold without a prescription (OTC/over the counter) but should be used under the direction of your veterinarian who can advise you on a complete oral hygiene program for your pet
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- To reduce bad breath
- May help reduce plaque and calculus formation
Effective oral hygiene can prevent the development or progression of periodontal disease and maintain good gingival health in your pet.
Within hours of a professional dental cleaning, plaque, an invisible bacterial slime, will form on the tooth surfaces. Daily brushing of the teeth with a soft-bristled nylon toothbrush will help remove this plaque and also massage the gingiva, improving the gingival health of your pet. Regular use of an Oral hygiene water additive can be beneficial.
Instructions vary, depending upon the product. Follow your veterinarian’s instructions.
Mix fresh solution daily and discard any solution not consumed within 24 hours. The products work best if used with every water change.
Oral hygiene water additives should be used only as directed. Overuse will not provide faster or better results.
WHAT ANIMALS SHOULD NOT USE THIS PRODUCT?
- Pregnant animals
- Animals with a known hypersensitivity or allergy to any ingredients in this product
WHAT IF A TREATMENT IS MISSED?
If a treatment is missed, perform it as soon as you can. If it is already time for the next treatment, skip the missed treatment and go back to the normal schedule.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store at controlled room temperature.
Not intended for human consumption.
Keep the concentrated solution and all medication out of reach of children and animals. May be harmful if swallowed undiluted.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- If dental irritation or diarrhea should occur, discontinue use and contact your veterinarian
- If you notice any unusual symptoms, discontinue use and contact your veterinarian
Do not allow your pet to swallow large amounts of this undiluted product. In case of accidental overdose, contact a veterinarian immediately.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your animal need to be rechecked
- What tests or procedures may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your animal has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your animal has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give your animal, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your animal's medicines can be given together.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Remember, home care is not a substitute for regular professional examinations and treatment, just as it isn’t enough for the human dental patient. Regular professional exams and treatments are still important to the overall health of your pet.
As with all prescribed medications, this product should only be used on the animal for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Oral hygiene water additives. If you have any questions or concerns about Oral hygiene water additives or the condition(s) for which it was prescribed, please contact your veterinarian.