2001-Fri Aug 17 13:41:06 EDT 2018
Vetstreet. All rights reserved. Powered by Brightspot.
Vetstreet does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. See Additional Information ›
Most antifreeze solutions contain high levels of ethylene glycol, an ingredient that, once metabolized, is extremely toxic to dogs and cats. Pets are often attracted to the liquid because of its sweet taste. Even small amounts can be lethal to animals. A cat that walks through spilled antifreeze and then licks its paws may ingest enough to be fatal. As little as 2.5 tablespoons of antifreeze could kill a 20-pound dog.
Once ingested, ethylene glycol is quickly broken down in the liver to other substances that can lead to kidney failure and death within 12 hours to a few days. That’s why antifreeze ingestion is a medical emergency. If you suspect that your pet has consumed antifreeze, contact your veterinarian immediately.
The signs of antifreeze poisoning vary, depending on the amount of antifreeze the pet drank and length of time since ingestion. Initially, pets may stagger or walk like they are drunk. Other signs include:
Antifreeze poisoning is generally diagnosed based on the results of blood and urine tests. However, as kidney failure sets in, these tests may be less accurate. Free-roaming pets that have signs consistent with antifreeze ingestion should be treated as soon as possible.
To be effective, treatment needs to be initiated as soon as possible after antifreeze ingestion. If your pet is seen within an hour of consuming antifreeze, the veterinarian may induce vomiting and possibly anesthetize the animal to flush out the contents of the stomach. They may also administer a liquid solution of activated charcoal to help prevent further absorption of the ethylene glycol.
If it has been longer than an hour since ingestion, the veterinarian will most likely give your pet a medication to help prevent the liver from metabolizing the ethylene glycol. The pet may also be placed on intravenous fluids and other medications to encourage excretion of the toxic substances produced during metabolism of ethylene glycol.
Once kidney failure has begun, it may be difficult to save the animal because the damage from antifreeze is often irreversible.
There are a number of steps you can take to prevent your pet from drinking antifreeze:
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Bartonella is a type bacteria that can be transmitted to cats, dogs and humans from exposure to infected fleas and…
Want to give your pup yummy, low-calorie treats? We’ve got the skinny on which foods are OK to feed him.
Not sure about food puzzles? Our veterinarian reveals why the payoff for your pet is well worth any extra work.
With these simple dental care tips, you can help keep your canine’s adorable smile shiny and healthy for life.
The friendly and inquisitive LaPerm has an easy-care coat that comes in a variety of colors and patterns.
Check out our collection of more than 250 videos about pet training, animal behavior, dog and cat breeds and more.
Wonder which dog or cat best fits your lifestyle? Our new tool will narrow down more than 300 breeds for you.
Thank you for subscribing.