Chloradine 4% Shampoo
Chlorhexidine shampoo is a non-irritating and deep cleansing shampoo useful in conditions caused by fungi, ringworm, yeast and bacteria in of dogs, cats and horses. Chlorhexidine shampoo contains coat conditioners that cleanse and deodorize and promote a healthy skin and coat. Chlorhexidine shampoo is available in multiple strengths, and is marketed in several sizes.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- Chlorhexidine gluconate or chlorhexidine acetate - available in 0.5%, 1%, 2%, 3% and 4% strengths
- A medicated shampoo with conditioners; used topically
- Gentle enough to use as a routine shampoo
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Used to soothe mild to severe skin conditions caused by bacteria, fungi, yeast and ringworm
- Useful where an antiseptic, antimicrobial, cleansing and deodorizing formulation may be of benefit
Read and carefully follow the directions provided by your veterinarian.
Wet your animal’s coat with warm water. Apply shampoo to head and ears, then lather, being careful to avoid the eyes. Repeat procedure with neck, chest, middle and hind quarter, finishing with legs. Massage shampoo into the wet coat and until lightly lathered. Allow the lather to remain on the animal for 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly. For best results, repeat procedure.
The frequency and length of use of this product depends upon the condition being treated and your animal’s response to the medication.
WHAT ANIMALS SHOULD NOT USE THIS PRODUCT?
- Chlorhexidine shampoo is not effective against parasitic infections (ie. fleas, ticks, etc.)
- Animals with a known hypersensitivity or allergy to chlorhexidine
WHAT IF A TREATMENT IS MISSED?
If a treatment is missed, perform it as soon as you can. If it is already time for the next treatment, skip the missed treatment and go back to the normal schedule.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store at controlled room temperature below 25°C (75°F).
Avoid getting it in your animal's eyes, ears or mucous membranes.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and animals. For external animal use only.
Not to be used on horses intended for food.
Wash hands after use.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- If you notice any unusual symptoms, discontinue use and contact your veterinarian
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE USED WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but if your animal experiences any unusual reactions when using multiple medications, contact your veterinarian.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS MEDICATION?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your animal need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your animal has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your animal has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give your animal, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your animal's medicines can be given together.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medications, Chlorhexidine shampoo should only be used on the animal for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Chlorhexidine shampoo. If you have any questions or concerns about Chlorhexidine shampoo or for the condition it was prescribed, please contact your veterinarian.