Chlorhexidine skin and wound cleanser
TRADE NAMES:Nolvasan Skin and Wound Cleanser
Chlorhexidine skin and wound cleanser is a topical antimicrobial cleanser useful to prevent and treat both skin and wound infections (bacterial, fungal, yeast and viral) in dogs, cats and horses. Chlorhexidine skin and wound cleanser is available in several sizes.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- 2% Chlorhexidine acetate
- An effective cleanser that provides a rapid and residual antimicrobial effect
- Chlorhexidine skin and wound cleanser is sold without a prescription (OTC/over the counter) but should only be used under the supervision of your veterinarian
- Registered for use in animals
- Used topically
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Used to treat and prevent skin and soft tissue infections
Read and follow the label carefully.
Depending upon the type of lesion or wound, your veterinarian may want to perform a culture evaluation of the site prior to starting this medication.
For serious burns, deep or puncture wounds, contact your veterinarian.
General skin cleansing: Rinse the affected area well with clean water. Apply sufficient Chlorhexidine skin and wound cleanser and wash gently. Rinse well.
Wound cleansing: Rinse the affected area with clean water. Using a moistened gauze pad, apply a small amount of cleanser to the affected area. Gently cleanse for 2-4 minutes, adding extra water as necessary to obtain adequate sudsing. Repeat cleansing if necessary. Wipe away excess foam with a clean gauze pad. After cleansing, an antiseptic ointment or suitable dressing may be applied (only if directed by your veterinarian).
The frequency and length of use of this product depends upon the condition being treated and your animal’s response to the medication.
WHAT ANIMALS SHOULD NOT USE THIS PRODUCT?
- Chlorhexidine skin and wound cleanser is not effective against parasitic infections
- Animals with a known hypersensitivity or allergy to this drug
WHAT IF A TREATMENT IS MISSED?
If a treatment is missed, perform it as soon as you can. If it is already time for the next treatment, skip the missed treatment and go back to the normal schedule.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store at controlled room temperature 15-30°C (59-86°F).
Avoid getting it in your animal's eyes or mucous membranes. If contact is made, flush promptly and thoroughly with clean water.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and animals. For external animal use only.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- If redness, irritation or inflammation persists or increases, consult your veterinarian
- Hypersensitivity to Chlorhexidine skin and wound cleanser is rare, but if a reaction should occur, discontinue use
- If you notice any unusual symptoms, discontinue use and contact your veterinarian
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE USED WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but if your animal experiences any unusual reactions when using multiple medications, contact your veterinarian.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS MEDICATION?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your animal need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your animal has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your animal has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give your animal, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your animal's medicines can be given together.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medications, Chlorhexidine skin and wound cleanser should only be used on the animal for which it was prescribed.
Chlorhexidine skin and wound cleanser should also only be used for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Chlorhexidine skin and wound cleanser. If you have any questions or concerns about Chlorhexidine skin and wound cleanser or for the condition it was prescribed, please contact your veterinarian.