Chlorhexidine solution is a topical antimicrobial solution to treat superficial cuts, abrasions or insect stings in dogs and horses. Chlorhexidine solution will need to be diluted before use as per the labeled instructions. Chlorhexidine solution is available in several sizes.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- An aqueous cleaning solution for general use that provides a rapid and residual antimicrobial effect
- 2% chlorhexidine gluconate
- Chlorhexidine solution is sold without a prescription (OTC/over the counter) but should only be used under the supervision of your veterinarian
- Registered for use in dogs and horses (not cats)
- Used topically
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Used to treat and prevent skin and soft tissue infections
- pH balanced and gentle on the skin; rinses well
Read and follow the label carefully.
Depending upon the type of lesion or wound, your veterinarian may want to perform a culture evaluation of the site prior to starting this medication.
For serious burns, deep or puncture wounds, contact your veterinarian.
Before use, dilute the 2% solution by mixing 1 oz (2 tablespoons) in 1 gallon of clean water.
Flush affected area with Chlorhexidine solution. Using a sterile gauze or sponge, wipe away any excess solution and debris. Dry affected area.
The frequency and length of use of this product depends upon the condition being treated and your animal’s response to the medication.
Do not use in the ears.
WHAT ANIMALS SHOULD NOT USE THIS PRODUCT?
- Chlorhexidine solution is not effective against parasitic infections
- Animals with a known hypersensitivity or allergy to this drug
WHAT IF A TREATMENT IS MISSED?
If a treatment is missed, perform it as soon as you can. If it is already time for the next treatment, skip the missed treatment and go back to the normal schedule.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store at controlled room temperature 15-30°C (59-86°F).
Do not use in the ears. Avoid getting it in your animal's eyes or mucous membranes. If contact is made, flush promptly and thoroughly with clean water.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and animals. For external animal use only. May be harmful if swallowed.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- If redness, irritation or inflammation persists or increases, consult your veterinarian
- Hypersensitivity to Chlorhexidine solution is rare, but if a reaction should occur, discontinue use
- If you notice any unusual symptoms, discontinue use and contact your veterinarian
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE USED WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but if your animal experiences any unusual reactions when using multiple medications, contact your veterinarian.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your animal need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your animal has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your animal has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give your animal, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your animal's medicines can be used together.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medications, Chlorhexidine solution should only be used on the animal for which it was prescribed.
Chlorhexidine solution should also only be used for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Chlorhexidine solution. If you have any questions or concerns about Chlorhexidine solution or the condition it was prescribed for, please contact your veterinarian.