Chlorhexidine spray is a topical antiseptic spray for use against bacterial, fungal, yeast or viral skin infections of dogs, cats and horses. Chlorhexidine spray may be useful to prevent and treat mild to severe superficial skin conditions. Chlorhexidine spray is available in a 8 oz plastic spray bottle.
WHAT IS THIS DRUG?
- 4% Chlorhexidine; may or may not contain other ingredients such as allantoin, isopropyl alcohol and/or aloe vera
- An effective antiseptic spray that provides a rapid and residual antimicrobial effect
- Chlorhexidine spray is sold without a prescription (ie. OTC/over the counter) but should only be used under the supervision of your veterinarian
- Registered for use in animals
- Used topically
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Used to treat and prevent skin infections including ringworm, hot spots and flea bite dermatitis
Read and follow the label carefully.
Depending upon the type of lesion or wound, your veterinarian may want to perform a culture evaluation of the site prior to starting this medication.
For serious burns, deep or puncture wounds, contact your veterinarian.
Shake bottle well before using.
Hold the spray bottle 3 to 6 inches from the lesion.
Follow your veterinarians directions for the number of sprays per day and duration of treatment.
Do not allow animal(s) to lick spray off. Distract animal following treatment for several minutes.
Chlorhexidine spray may be used in conjunction with other medications (ex. shampoos) in the treatment of your animal’s skin condition.
WHAT IF A TREATMENT IS MISSED?
If a treatment is missed, perform it as soon as you can. If it is already time for the next treatment, skip the missed treatment and go back to the normal schedule.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store at room temperature 15-30°C (59-86°F) away from heat and light.
Avoid getting it in your animal's eyes or mucous membranes. If contact is made, flush promptly and thoroughly with clean water.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and animals. For external animal use only.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- May cause dryness and irritation
- If you notice any unusual symptoms, discontinue use and contact your veterinarian
CAN THIS DRUG BE USED WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but if your animal experiences any unusual reactions when using multiple medications, contact your veterinarian.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS MEDICATION?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your animal need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your animal has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your animal has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give your animal, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your animal's medicines can be given together.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medications, Chlorhexidine spray should only be used on the animal for which it was prescribed.
Chlorhexidine spray should also only be used for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Chlorhexidine spray. If you have any questions or concerns about Chlorhexidine spray or the condition it was prescribed for, please contact your veterinarian.
Join the Conversation
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!