Chlorhexidine flush is a topical antimicrobial solution useful to clean superficial cuts and abrasions of dogs, cats and horses. May be used on other skin conditions where an antimicrobial cleanser would be of benefit. Chlorhexidine flush is available in several sizes.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- A cleansing and drying astringent for topical use
- 0.2% Chlorhexidine gluconate and Isopropyl alcohol, +/- other ingredients
- Chlorhexidine flush is sold without a prescription (OTC/over the counter) but should only be used under the supervision of your veterinarian
- For use in dogs, cats and horses
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Used to clean and dry various skin and soft tissue conditions
- Astringent qualities will help dry affected area(s)
Read and follow the label carefully.
Depending upon the type of lesion or wound, your veterinarian may want to perform a culture evaluation of the site prior to starting this medication.
For serious burns, deep or puncture wounds, contact your veterinarian.
Flush affected area liberally with Chlorhexidine flush. Using a sterile gauze or sponge, wipe away any excess solution and debris. Dry affected area.
Repeat this procedure once daily, unless directed otherwise by your veterinarian.
The frequency and length of use of this product depends upon the condition being treated and your animal’s response to the medication.
WHAT ANIMALS SHOULD NOT USE THIS PRODUCT?
- Chlorhexidine flush is not effective against parasitic infections
- Animals with a known hypersensitivity or allergy to Chlorhexidine or Isopropy alcohol
WHAT IF A TREATMENT IS MISSED?
If a treatment is missed, perform it as soon as you can. If it is already time for the next treatment, skip the missed treatment and go back to the normal schedule.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store at controlled room temperature 15-30°C (59-86°F).
Avoid getting it in your animal's eyes or mucous membranes. If contact is made, flush promptly and thoroughly with clean water.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and animals. For external animal use only. May be harmful if swallowed.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Hypersensitivity to Chlorhexidine flush is rare, but if a reaction should occur, discontinue use
- If you notice any unusual symptoms, discontinue use and contact your veterinarian
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE USED WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but if your animal experiences any unusual reactions when using multiple medications, contact your veterinarian.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your animal need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your animal has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your animal has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give your animal, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your animal's medicines can be used together.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medications, Chlorhexidine flush should only be used on the animal for which it was prescribed.
Chlorhexidine flush should also only be used for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Chlorhexidine flush. If you have any questions or concerns about Chlorhexidine flush or the condition it was prescribed for, please contact your veterinarian.