Click here to learn more.
A. Let's back up. While chocolate should never, ever be given to dogs, its toxicity is highly variable based on the darkness of the chocolate (the darker the chocolate, the higher the danger) and the size of the dog (the smaller the dog, the bigger the danger). A large dog (like a Labrador) who eats a pound of milk chocolate is probably not in grave danger of anything except tossing up that candy all over your carpet.
So what about cocoa mulch? Like chocolate itself, there's no one answer when it comes to toxicity, except that it shouldn't be eaten at all. The ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center lists cocoa mulch on its list of hazardous garden substances. The symptoms of ingestion can be the same as with chocolate itself: vomiting and diarrhea is common in some dogs as well as a rapid heart rate, muscle tremors and acting hyper. Seizures are also possible. (Cocoa mulch — like chocolate — is also toxic to cats, but they're far less likely to eat any of it.)
Given those potential problems, I can't recommend that pet owners use cocoa mulch in their yards, or at least in the parts of their yards to which animals have access.
Of course, you can't change what your neighbors use on their own properties. Instead, keep your dog on a leash and teach the "leave it" command. My daughter, Vetstreet pet trainer Mikkel Becker, demonstrates the easy steps in this video.
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Thank You For Signing Up
for the Petwire newsletter, sending you all the pet news each week directly to your inbox.
Get the latest pet news, tips, tricks, and expert advice sent right to your inbox!
The Alaska SeaLife Center recently
welcomed a male Steller sea lion, which
is a rare and endangered species.
In his funny new video, Dr. Andy Roark
shares the ways you should not choose
your pet's health care provider.
Learn about the physical developments,
mental changes and training tips that are
important for your “teenage” canine.
We chat with a koi show expert about
what makes this big, brilliantly-colored
ornamental carp so fascinating.
Most dogs get blastomycosis by inhaling
fungal spores. The organism thrives near
lakes, swamps and river banks.
Believed to have originated in Egypt around 329 B.C., the elegant Saluki is a calm and quiet companion.
If the video doesn't start playing momentarily,
please install the latest version of Flash.