Duralactin® Feline Capsules
Dried milk protein supplements (Small animal)
This product is commonly used as an adjunct treatment to help manage chronic inflammatory conditions. The milk protein targets inflammatory mediators and can be helpful at reducing mild inflammation. This product is given by mouth and is commonly available in the form of capsules, chewables, and oral liquids.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
This product is a dried milk protein that is derived from hyperimmunized cows. Some products also contain omega fatty acids which support overall health.
WHAT DOGS/CATS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS PRODUCT?
- Dried milk protein supplements are not a replacement for appropriate treatment when an infection is present
- Safety in breeding, pregnant, or nursing animals has not been established
- Pets with a known hypersensitivity to dairy products
- Pets that have had an earlier allergic reaction to a similar product
Dried milk protein supplements should be given according to your veterinarian’s instructions. Read and follow the product label carefully.
Many of these products do not have immediate results; they require long term usage. It is recommended that this supplement be given for as long as your veterinarian directs.
It is ideal to give this supplement at the same time daily.
Supplements are not regulated by the FDA. As such, they have not been required to go through the same rigorous testing for efficacy that drugs undergo. Many products on the market are high quality and are made by reputable companies. Consult with your veterinarian to choose the right product for your pet.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Dried milk protein supplements should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- This product is usually well tolerated and adverse reactions are uncommon at recommended doses
- Stomach upset such as vomiting and diarrhea is possible in animals with a dairy sensitivity
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your pet experiences any adverse reactions to this product
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Commonly used in combination with other medications that reduce inflammation such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) and steroids
- Drugs other than those listed may also interact with dried milk protein supplements
- Do not give new food or medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your pet receives more than the recommended amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING THIS PRODUCT?Talk to your veterinarian about:
- The signs of inflammation that you have observed
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this supplement
- When your pet may need to be re-examined
- What are the risks and benefits of using this supplement
- If your pet has experienced side effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies
- If your pet has experienced digestive upset now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet’s medications can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant, nursing or if you plan to breed your pet in the near future
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your pet’s condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all supplements, it should only be given to the pet for which it was recommended.
This is just a summary of information about dried milk protein supplements. If you have any questions or concerns about this product or for the condition it was recommended, please contact your veterinarian.