Enrofloxacin-Silver sulfadiazine otic
TRADE NAMES:Baytril Otic (enrofloxacin/silver sulfadiazine) Antibacterial-Antimycotic Emulsion
Enrofloxacin + Silver sulfadiazine Otic is a soothing topical fluoroquinolone antibiotic emulsion used to rapidly treat susceptible bacterial and fungal ear infections in dogs. Available in 15 mL and 30 mL dropper bottles.
WHAT IS THIS DRUG?
- Enrofloxacin + Silver sulfadiazine Otic is a combination of a fluoroquinolone antibiotic and a potent antifungal
- Used topically in the ear
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Effective against many bacteria and fungus types with few side effects
- Reduces ear inflammation and improves epidermal repair
WHAT DOGS/CATS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION?
- This product is approved for use only in dogs
- Young, growing animals due to potential for cartilage abnormalities
- Use with caution in animals with ruptured tympanic membranes
- Breeding, pregnant or nursing animals
- Pets who have a history of seizures or other central nervous system disorders
- Pets known to have had an allergic reaction to other quinolones and/or sulfonamides
Shake well before each use. Read and follow the label carefully.
Before using this product, a veterinary examination of the ear is needed to ensure the ear drum has not been perforated.
The ear should be clean and dry before using this product. Remove any debris, or crusty material with a non-irritating ear cleaning solution. It may be necessary to clip excessive hair from the ear.
Tilt the dog's head so that the affected ear is oriented upward. For dogs weighing up to 35 pounds, administer 5-10 drops. Dogs weighing more than 35 pounds, administer 10-15 drops per treatment. There should be enough product used to coat the ear lesions and the external ear canal. Following treatment, gently massage the ear to ensure complete distribution of the medication throughout the external ear canal. Apply twice daily for 14 days.
Apply the exact amount prescribed and only as often as directed. Missed doses reduce the effectiveness of therapy.
WHAT IF DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, apply it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store between 4-25° C (40-77° F). Store in an upright position. Keep away from direct sunlight.
People should not take this drug. Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets. Avoid contact with eyes. Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
Pet owners who are allergic to quinolones (such as ciprofloxacin or norfloxacin) should avoid handling this drug.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Rare reports of ear irritation, acute inflammation of the ear canal and pinna (outer ear)
- Lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea or hearing loss during treatment. Medical aid may be necessary.
- If hearing or vestibular dysfunction (loss of balance, rhythmic eye motion, head tilt, circling) is noted during treatment, discontinue use of this product and contact your veterinarian
- Damage to joint cartilage in immature dogs
- If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if pet receives more than the prescribed amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING MEDICATION?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your pet need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- Risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your pet has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced digestive upset now or ever
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet's medicines can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant or nursing or if you plan to breed your pet
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medicines, Enrofloxacin + Silver sulfadiazine Otic should only be given to the dog/cat for which it was prescribed. It should be given only for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about enrofloxacin. If you have any questions or concerns about Enrofloxacin + Silver sulfadiazine Otic or the condition it was prescribed for, contact your veterinarian.