Equine Levothyroxine sodium (Rx)
TRADE NAMES:Equi-Phar Thyrosyn Powder
Equine Thyroid Supplement
Thyroxine L Powder
This drug is a thyroid hormone medication. It is available as an oral powder or granular form that can be mixed into the daily grain ration.
WHAT IS THIS DRUG?
- A synthetic thyroid hormone
- Given by mouth
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Used to treat conditions associated with low circulating thyroid hormone levels (hypothyroidism).
Levothryoxine sodium should be given according to your veterinarian’s instructions. Read and follow the prescription label carefully.
Give the exact amount prescribed and only as often as directed.
Give this medication for as long as your veterinarian directs. Do not skip doses or stop giving the medication without consulting your veterinarian.
Baseline blood work may be recommended to assess your horse’s general health before starting this medication.
Periodic blood work to monitor its effects on the body is also advised if long term therapy is necessary.
Dose adjustments may be made based upon these results and an assessment of how your horse is responding clinically.
Ideally, give this medication at the same time(s) daily.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Levothyroxine sodium should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Adverse reactions are uncommon at the recommended doses
- At high doses, this medication can cause elevated heart rates, increased appetite, excitability, and nervousness
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your horse experiences any adverse reactions to this medication
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Avoid concurrent use with antidepressants, digoxin, epinephrine, insulin, ketamine, norepinephrine and warfarin
- If your horse is on an antacid or sucralfate, do not administer at the same time as levothyroxine sodium
- Drugs other than those listed may also interact with Levothyroxine sodium
- Do not give new food or medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your horse experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your horse receives more than the prescribed amount.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your horse’s condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
This product should not be used in horses intended for human consumption.
Check with the appropriate regulatory body regarding the use in competition horses.
As with all prescribed medication, Levothyroxine sodium should only be given to the horse for which it was prescribed.
It should be given only for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Levothyroxine sodium. If you have any questions or concerns about this product or for the condition it was prescribed, please contact your veterinarian.