Equine Ponazuril (Rx)
TRADE NAMES:Marquis (15% w/w ponazuril) Antiprotozoal Oral Paste
WHAT IS THIS DRUG?
- This is a broad spectrum oral antiprotozoal drug containing ponazuril. Ponazuril reaches the central nervous system and can effectively kill parasites in the spinal cord.
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Ponazuril is effective in the treatment of the following protozoal infection in horses:
- Sarcocystis neurona
- Equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM) is a neurological disease characterized by incoordination, weakness, and spasticity in the legs. Horses are infected after ingesting water or feed contaminated with Sarcocystis neurona.
- Sarcocystis neurona
You need to accurately determine the weight of the horse with a scale or a weight tape prior to administration of this drug as the dose is based on the weight of the horse. Inadequate dosing will be ineffective and can encourage drug resistance. If you are unsure how your horse will react to oral administration of a medication, request assistance or demonstration by your veterinarian.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
This product should be stored at room temperature and protected from freezing.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product or in case of contact with eyes.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Horses may develop blisters, a rash or hives, diarrhea, and mild colic
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Do not give new medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your horse experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if you have accidentally given more than the prescribed amount.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal experiences any adverse reactions to this medication.
This product should not be used in horses intended for human consumption.
Check with the appropriate regulatory body regarding the use in competition horses.
As with all prescribed medication, Equine Ponazuril should only be given to the horse for which it was prescribed and any medication given should be properly documented for that individual.
This is just a summary of information about Equine Ponazuril. If you have any questions or concerns about this product or the parasites it prevents, please contact your veterinarian.