Equine Sheath Cleaner
TRADE NAMES:Equine Sheath Cleaner
Excalibur Sheath Cleaner for Horses
This product is a gentle cleanser that assists with removal of accumulated body oil and dirt from a horse’s sheath.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- A non-irritating cleanser
REASONS FOR USING:
- Used to help soften and loosen debris that becomes trapped in the sheath
- An important component of stallion breeding management
Breeding stallions need to be washed before and after each breeding with a mare.
It is ideal to wear impermeable gloves when cleaning a horse’s sheath.
Apply a liberal amount of cleanser into the sheath and wait a couple of minutes while the product softens and loosens the debris.
Gently ease the penis out from the sheath and remove the accumulated debris also known as smegma. Occasionally the smegma will form a mass (also known as the “bean”) in the end of the urethra. Removal is important because it can interfere with urine flow. After thoroughly removing all debris, rinse the sheath and penis with warm water.
Always wash your hands after cleaning your horse’s sheath.
If you are unsure how your horse will react to sheath cleaning or if you are unsure how to remove the bean from the urethra, request assistance and demonstration by your veterinarian.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Equine Sheath Cleaner should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your horse experiences any adverse reactions to this product
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE USED WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Do not give new food or medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your horse experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- Proper handling and training techniques to promote a safe environment for sheath cleaning
- How frequently you should clean your stallion’s or gelding’s sheath
- What are the risks and benefits of using this product
- If your horse has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your horse has experienced any other medical problems or allergies
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your horse or plan to give your horse, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your horse’s medications can be used together.
- Breeding plans for your stallion
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
This product is intended for external use only, avoid getting this product into your horse’s eyes, nose, or mouth.
Check with the appropriate regulatory body regarding the use in competition horses.
This is just a summary of information Equine Sheath Cleaner. If you have any questions or concerns about this product, please contact your veterinarian.