Antiseptic shampoo is a gentle cleansing and keratolytic shampoo useful to treat a variety of skin conditions of dogs, cats and horses. The antiseptic action reduces the bacterial population and also removes tissue debris. The keratolytic properties of the shampoo treat dry, flaky skin. These unique ingredients work together to promote a healthy skin and coat. Antiseptic shampoo is available only from your veterinarian, in 8 oz, 16 oz and 1 gallon bottle.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- Contains ethyl lactate as the active ingredient, spherulites (provide a slow release of the active ingredient) and chitosanide (a biopolymer that creates a protective film on the skin and hair coat)
- An antiseptic shampoo used topically on dogs, cats and horses
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Antiseptic and cleansing; used to control the bacterial population on the skin and remove tissue debris
- A management tool for many skin conditions (eg. dry, flaky skin) in dogs, cats and horses of any age
- Less irritating and drying than some other keratolytic shampoos
Read and carefully follow instructions provided by your veterinarian.
Shake bottle well before use.
Wet your animal’s coat with warm water and apply enough shampoo to make a rich lather. Avoid your pet’s eyes. Massage shampoo into the wet coat and ensure that a good lather is created. Rinse and repeat, allowing the lather to remain on the animal for at least 5-10 minutes. Rinse well with clean water.
Initially, the product may be used 2-3 times per week for the first month, then once a week, or as directed by your veterinarian.
The frequency and length of use of this product depends upon the condition being treated and your animal’s response to the medication.
WHAT ANIMALS SHOULD NOT USE THIS PRODUCT?
- Not effective against parasitic infections (ie. fleas, ticks, etc.)
- Animals with a known hypersensitivity or allergy to ethyl lactate or any of the other ingredients
WHAT IF A TREATMENT IS MISSED?
If a treatment is missed, perform it as soon as you can. If it is already time for the next treatment, skip the missed treatment and go back to the normal schedule.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store at controlled room temperature of 59°-86° F.
Avoid getting it in your animal's eyes, ears or mucous membranes.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and animals. For external animal use only.
Wash hands after use.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- If redness, irritation or inflammation persists or increases, discontinue use and consult your veterinarian
- If you notice any unusual symptoms, discontinue use and contact your veterinarian
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT?Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your animal need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this product
- What are the risks and benefits of using this product
- If your animal has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your animal has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give your animal, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your animal's medicines can be given together.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medications, Antiseptic shampoo should only be used on the animal for which it was prescribed.
Antiseptic shampoo should also only be used for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Antiseptic shampoo. If you have any questions or concerns about Antiseptic shampoo or for the condition it was prescribed, please contact your veterinarian.