Fatty Acids supplement (Small Animal)
TRADE NAMES:Actis Omega Cat
Actis Omega Dog
Allerderm Efa-Caps HP
Allerderm Efa-Z Plus
AllerG-3 Capsules (Large & Giant Breeds)
AllerG-3 Capsules (Medium Breeds)
AllerG-3 Capsules (Small Breeds)
Ascenta Canine Omega-3
Ascenta Feline Omega-3
Bladder Strength Chewable Tablets For Dogs
Brewer's Dried Yeast Formula with Omegas
Buddy Bites Skin & Coat Plus Wafers
Canine F.A./Plus Chewable Tablets For Large Dogs
Canine F.A./Plus Chewable Tablets For Small and Medium Dogs
Canine F.A./Plus Granules
Cod Liver Oil
Daily Catch Treats for Dogs with Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
Daily Catch Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
Derm-Tabs ES Extra Strength for Dogs
Derm-Tabs Regular Strength For Dogs
Derma 3.6.9 Pro
Derma-3 Softgels (Large Breeds)
Derma-3 Softgels (Medium Breeds)
Derma-3 Softgels (Small Breeds)
Derma-3 Twist Caps for Medium and Large Dogs
Derma-3 Twist Caps for Small Dogs and Cats
Derma-Form Granules F.A.
Derma-Strength Feline Bite-Sized Chews
Derma-Strength Mini Bite-Sized Chews
Derma-Strength Bite-Sized Chews
Derma-Strength Chewable Tablets for Cats and Dogs
Dermaquin Plus For Dogs
EicosaCaps Omega 3 & 6 Capsules L
EicosaCaps Omega 3 & 6 Capsules Sm
EicosaDerm Omega 3 Liquid
Feline F.A./Plus Chewable Tablets
Feline Furball Plus Bite-Sized Chews
Fish Oil Plus
Fish Oil Softgels for Dogs
Free Form Snip Tips for Medium and Large Dogs
Free Form Snip Tips for Small Dogs and Cats
FSO Flaxseed Oil Blend
GLEAM Skin & Coat Supplement for DOGS & CATS
GLEAM SUPREME Advanced Skin & Coat Supplement for DOGS & CATS
Good Shepherd Omega 3-V Liquid
Good Shepherd VeterolX
Grand Coat for Dogs
Grizzly Pollock Oil for Dogs
Grizzly Salmon Oil for Cats
Grizzly Salmon Oil for Dogs
Happy Jack ToneKote
Healthy Coat Shed + Itch
HESKA F.A. Granules
Imrex Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplement
K9 Daily Skin & Coat Conditioner
Linatone Shed Relief for Cats
Linatone Shed Relief for Dogs & Cats
Linatone Shed Relief Plus with added zinc for Dogs & Cats
Love Drops Healthy Skin & Coat
LSO Linseed Oil Blend
Mirra-Coat for Cats
Mirra-Coat O Cat Liquid
Mirra-Coat O Liquid
Mirra-Coat O Powder
NoviPet Omega 3
NoviPet Omega 3 & 6
NutriVed O.F.A. Chewable Tablets for Cats
NutriVed O.F.A. Chewable Tablets for Large Dogs
NutriVed O.F.A. Chewable Tablets for Small and Medium Dogs
NutriVed O.F.A. Gel Caps for Large Dogs
NutriVed O.F.A. Gel Caps for Small and Medium Size Dogs
NutriVed O.F.A. Granules for Cats
NutriVed O.F.A. Granules for Dogs
NutriVed O.F.A. Liquid
O3 Omega Capsules for Large Dogs
O3 Omega Capsules for Medium Dogs
O3 Omega Capsules for Small Dogs & Cats
O3 Omega Clip Tips for Medium & Large Dogs
O3 Omega Clip Tips for Small Dogs & Cats
O3 Omega Liquid
Ocean Omega Supreme
Omega 3, 6, 9
Omega 3-6-9 Skin & Coat Supplement for Dogs & Cats
Omega EFA Capsules RS
Omega EFA Capsules XS
Omega FF Liquid
Omega FF Twist-Tip Caps for Medium and Large Dogs
Omega FF Twist-Tip Caps for Small Dogs and Cats
Omega Gel Caps
Omega Gels Skin & Coat Supplement for Dogs & Cats
Omega Mender! Itch Ender! - Royal Coat Express
Omega Power Cat Gel
Omega Softgels (Medium & Large Dogs)
Omega Softgels (Small & Medium Dogs & Cats)
Omega Tri-V Capsules (Large Breeds)
Omega Tri-V Capsules (Medium Breeds)
Omega Tri-V Capsules (Small Breeds)
Omega Tri-V Liquid
Omega-3 Pet Cats and Small Breed Dogs
Omega-3 Pet Large to Very Large Breeds & Multi-Dog Households
Omega-3 Pet Medium to Large Breed Dogs
Omega-3 Pet Soft Gels
Omega-3 Soft Chews
Omega-Caps ES For Large and Giant Dog Breeds
Omega-Caps ES Liquid For Dogs and Cats
Omega-Caps For Cats and Small Dogs
Omega-Caps HP Snip Tips For Small Dogs & Cats
Omegaderm for Medium and Large Dogs
Omegaderm for Small Dogs & Cats
Optima 365 Chewable Tablets for Dogs
Optima 365 for Cats
Optima 365 for Dogs
Pet Cod Liver Oil Large to Very Large Breed Dogs & Multi-Dog Households
Pet Cod Liver Oil Medium to Large Breed Dogs
Probios Dog Treats (Soft & Shiny Coat)
ProMotion Plus Omegas for Cats and Small Dogs
ProMotion Plus Omegas for Medium and Large Dogs
Rice Bran Oil
Right Bites For Dogs Skin + Coat
Salmon Oil Gel Caps For Dogs & Cats
Salmon Oil Softgels
Shed-Defense Max Chewables for Dogs
Shed-Defense Max Liquid for Dogs
Shed-Defense Natural Smoke Flavor Soft Chews for Dogs
Shed-Pro Cat Formula
Shed-Pro for Dogs Granules
Shed-Pro for Dogs Liquid
Skin & Coat Plus Omegas Soft Chews
Skin & Coat Soft Chews
Skin + Coat Chews for Cats
Skin + Coat Soft Chews for Dogs
Skin + Coat Tablets for Dogs
SmartCanine Skin & Coat
Soft-N-Shiny Coat For Dogs
TDC Periodontal & Joint Health for Dogs & Cats
The Missing Link Ultimate Skin & Coat
The Missing Link Ultimate Small Breed Skin & Coat
The Missing Link Well Blend Food Sensitive Skin, Coat & More Formula
True-Dose Skin & Coat
Ultimate Skin & Coat Powder
Ultimate Skin & Coat Supplement Powder For Dogs & Cats
Unscented Salmon Oil
VetFORM Omega-3 Flax
Vita-Derm Healthy Skin + Coat
Welactin Canine Liquid (Omega-3 Fatty Acids)
Welactin Canine Softgel Caps (Omega-3 Fatty Acids)
Welactin Feline Liquid (Omega-3 Fatty Acids)
Welactin Feline Softgel Caps (Omega-3 Fatty Acids)
WGO Wheat Germ Oil Blend
Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil Drip Less Odor Less for Cats
Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil Drip Less Odor Less for Dogs
Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil for Cats
Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil for Dogs
Wild Alaskan Salmon Puffs with Omega-3 for Dogs
Omega fatty acids are considered essential nutrients. They are required by many parts of the body to function normally. Fatty Acid Supplements may contain omega 3-fatty acids, omega 6-fatty acids, and a vitamin/mineral supplement. These nutrients are obtained in the diet and adequate levels are required to support optimum health. A diet that is not completely balanced can result in deficiencies and promote nutrition-related disease. These products are given by mouth and are commonly available in the form of capsules and liquid pumps.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- Omega 3 fatty acids such as alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), docosahexaenoic (DHA), and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) are primarily from fish oil, flaxseed oil, and canola oil. They have the ability to regulate inflammatory and immune responses in the body.
- Omega 6 fatty acids such as gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) and linoleic acid (LA) are primarily from plants such as corn oil, soybean oil, and sunflower oil. They are important for keeping your pet’s coat and skin healthy.
- Vitamin and minerals play an important role in your pet’s overall health.
WHAT DOGS/CATS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS PRODUCT?
- Safety in breeding, pregnant, or nursing animals has not been established
- Caution is advised in pets with a history of clotting disorders or pets currently taking anticoagulant medications
- Animals with a known hypersensitivity or allergy to this supplement should not take this product
Fatty Acid Supplements should be given according to your veterinarian’s instructions. Read and follow the product label carefully.
Many of these products do not have immediate results; they require long term usage. It is recommended that this supplement be given for as long as your veterinarian directs.
With the guidance of your veterinarian, experimentation with the dose may be necessary to achieve the best results for your pet. Further dose adjustments may be made based upon an assessment of how your pet is responding clinically.
It is ideal to give this supplement at the same time daily. Fatty acid supplements can be given either as a treat or during a meal. If liquid pump formulations are applied on top of the food, ensure that your pet eats the full meal.
Capsules can either be given directly by mouth or punctured and the liquid contents applied to the top of the food.
Supplements are not regulated by the FDA. As such, they have not been required to go through the same rigorous testing for efficacy that drugs undergo. Many products on the market are high quality and are made by reputable companies. Consult with your veterinarian to choose the right product for your pet.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Fatty Acid Supplements should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
Avoid spilling liquid formulations on valuable items.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- These products are usually well tolerated and adverse reactions are uncommon at recommended doses
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your pet experiences any adverse reactions to this product
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Commonly used in combination with drugs used to treat skin conditions and arthritis
- Caution is advised when given Fatty Acid Supplements with drugs that can influence platelet function or blood clotting (aspirin, heparin, and warfarin)
- Drugs other than those listed may also interact with Fatty Acid Supplements
- Do not give new food or medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your pet receives more than the recommended amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING THIS PRODUCT?Talk to your veterinarian about:
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this supplement
- When your pet may need to be re-examined
- What are the risks and benefits of using this supplement
- If your pet has experienced side effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies
- If your pet has experienced digestive upset now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet’s medications can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant, nursing or if you plan to breed your pet in the near future
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your pet’s condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all supplements, it should only be given to the pet for which it was recommended.
This is just a summary of information about Fatty Acid Supplements. If you have any questions or concerns about this product or for the condition it was recommended, please contact your veterinarian.