Feline Pheromone Spray
Pheromones are chemicals that are secreted by cats that can impact the behavior of other cats. Feline facial pheromones are secreted from the cheek glands of cats when they feel relaxed and calm. This reassuring response can also be triggered in adult cats by synthetic pheromones. This product can be delivered using a spray.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- A synthetic pheromone
- It is not considered a drug
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- To minimize stress related behaviors (ex. scratching, urine marking, multiple cat aggression)
- To provide comfort during stressful situations (ex. travelling, moving, new household members)
WHAT DOGS/CATS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION?
- Cats that have an underlying medical condition that is causing inappropriate urination in the house
- This product does not affect other species in the household and should only be used for cats
- Animals with a known hypersensitivity or allergy to this product should not be exposed
Read and follow the label carefully and use only as directed.
Use this product for as long as your veterinarian recommends.
Do not spray this product directly on your cat. This product is meant to be sprayed on areas in the environment (ex. directly on surfaces that are being scratched, places where your cat is urine marking, inside a carrier, and in the car).
Thoroughly clean all soiled areas or objects for best success when using this product to control urine marking.
Refer to specific product guidelines regarding amount to be sprayed, frequency of application, and how far in advance this product needs to be applied before introducing your cat to have the best effect.
Frequency and duration of use will be determined by your veterinarian based upon an assessment of how your cat is responding clinically.
Call ahead for refills.
Ideally, be consistent with product use during times of stress for best results.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Feline pheromone spray should be stored in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
Refer to product insert for safety warnings as this product is flammable and an eye irritant.
Keep this and all other medications out of reach of children and pets. Avoid contact with skin.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product or in case of contact with eyes.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Do not give new food or medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your pet ingests any of this product.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING MEDICATION?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When your pet will need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this product
- What are the risks and benefits of using this product
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your pet has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced digestive upset now or ever
- If your pet has experienced liver or kidney disease now or ever
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet's medications can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant, nursing or if you plan to breed your pet
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your cat's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
This is just a summary of information about feline pheromone. If you have any questions or concerns about feline pheromone or the condition it was prescribed for, please contact your veterinarian.