Homeopathic cough remedies (Small Animal)
Coughing is a normal reflex in response to an irritated airway. In our pets, coughing may be secondary to respiratory infections (bacterial, viral, fungal), collapsing trachea, congestive heart failure, chronic bronchitis, and even inhaled irritants. Often the history of your pet’s cough, description of the cough, together with a physical examination and potentially chest x-rays, can assist with determining a diagnosis. Homeopathy is an alternative medicine that uses a highly dilute substance to trigger the body’s own natural system of healing. These products are given by mouth and are commonly available in the form of liquid drops.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- Homeopathic cough remedies may contain any of the following ingredients:
- Asrenicum album
- Baryta carbonica
- Drosera rotundifolia
- Spongia tosta
WHAT DOGS/CATS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS PRODUCT?
- This product should not be use in replacement for appropriate veterinary care during a respiratory illnessSafety in breeding, pregnant, or nursing animals has not been established
- Animals with a known hypersensitivity or allergy to this supplement should not take this product
Homeopathic cough remedies should be given according to your veterinarian’s guidance. Read and follow the product label carefully.
It is recommended that this supplement be given for only as long as your veterinarian directs.
With the guidance of your veterinarian, experimentation with the dose may be necessary to achieve the best results for your pet. Further dose adjustments may be made based upon an assessment of how your pet is responding clinically.
Ideally, the liquid drops are administered directly on the mucous membranes in the mouth. For pets that are not compliant with this method of delivery, the product can be administered in the food or water.
Homeopathic remedies are not regulated by the FDA. As such, they have not been required to go through the same rigorous testing for efficacy that drugs undergo. Many products on the market are high quality and are made by reputable companies. Consult with your veterinarian to choose the right product for your pet.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Homeopathic cough remedies should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
Avoid spilling liquid formulations on valuable items.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- These products are usually well tolerated and adverse reactions are uncommon at recommended doses
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your pet experiences any adverse reactions to this product
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Do not give new food or medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your pet receives more than the recommended amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING THIS PRODUCT?Talk to your veterinarian about:
- If your pet is potentially contagious and if they should be isolated from other animals
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this supplement
- When your pet may need to be re-examined
- What are the risks and benefits of using this supplement
- If your pet has experienced side effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies
- If your pet has experienced digestive upset now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet’s medications can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant, nursing or if you plan to breed your pet in the near future
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your pet’s condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all supplements, it should only be given to the pet for which it was recommended.
This is just a summary of information about Homeopathic cough remedies. If you have any questions or concerns about this product or for the condition it was recommended, please contact your veterinarian.