Imidacloprid + Permethrin
TRADE NAMES:K9 Advantix 10 (imidacloprid/permethrin) For Dogs and Puppies (7 Weeks and Older, 10 lbs. and Under)
K9 Advantix 100 (imidacloprid/permethrin) For Dogs and Puppies (7 Weeks and Older, Over 55 lbs.)
K9 Advantix 20 (imidacloprid/permethrin) For Dogs and Puppies (7 Weeks and Older, 11-20 lbs.)
K9 Advantix 55 (imidacloprid/permethrin) For Dogs and Puppies (7 Weeks and Older, 21-55 lbs.)
Imidacloprid + Permethrin is a topical insecticidal agent used in dogs once a month to kill and repel fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and biting flies. After application, fleas will stop biting within 3-5 minutes and 98-100% will be killed within 12 hours. Imidacloprid + Permethrin is applied to the skin between the shoulder blades every 30 days. Dogs should be greater than 7 weeks of age. It is important to note that this product should only be used on dogs. Imidacloprid + Permethrin is available in 4 sizes (based upon body weight).
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- Imidacloprid + Permethrin is an insecticidal agent
- Imidacloprid + Permethrin is applied topically once a month
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- To prevent and treat fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and biting flies
WHAT PETS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION?
- DO NOT USE ON CATS OR ANY ANIMAL OTHER THAN DOGS
- Puppies less than 7 weeks of age
- Use with caution in older, debilitated, pregnant or nursing dogs
- Pets known to have had an allergic reaction to imidacloprid, permethrin or like products
Be sure to follow the dosage instructions provided by your veterinarian. If you have difficulty applying the medication, contact your veterinarian.
Part the hair at your dog's shoulders to expose the skin. Dogs up to 20 lbs, apply a single spot. For medium and larger dogs, squeeze contents evenly to 3 or 4 spots along the top of the back from the shoulder to the base of the tail. Use the entire contents of the tube that correctly corresponds with the body weight of your animal. Use only one tube per treatment.
Do not allow pets to lick the product or ingest in any way. If you have multiple pets, keep them separated for a short time to prevent licking. Repeat application monthly. Mark your calendar with the dates of subsequent treatments.
After applying this product to your pet, wash your hands with soap and water. Small children should avoid handling the treated dog for a day or two.
For external use only. Do NOT give by mouth. Keep the product away from your dog's eyes and mouth
This product stops fleas biting within 3-5 minutes, and starts killing fleas within 1 hour. Within 12 hours, 98-100% of the adult fleas will be dead. Repels and kills fleas before they lay eggs. Larval flea stages in the dog's environment will be killed after contact with an Imidacloprid + Permethrin-treated dog. This product will continue to be effective for up to 4 weeks.
Repels and kills ticks including Deer ticks, American dog ticks, Brown dog ticks, and Lone Star ticks for up to 4 weeks.
Repels and kills mosquitoes for up to 4 weeks.
Repels and prevents blood-feeding by biting flies.
Swimming, a shampoo treatment, getting caught in the rain or exposure to sun will not be a problem.
Read and follow the label carefully.
WHAT IF DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, apply it as soon as you can and resume the monthly dosing schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
For external use on dogs only. Do not get this product in dog's eyes or mouth.
If applied to a cat, or ingested by a cat which actively grooms a recently treated dog, this product may have serious harmful effects. If this occurs, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Store in a cool, dry place. Protect from freezing.
Causes eye irritation. Harmful if swallowed. Do not get in the eyes or on clothing. Avoid contact with skin. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling.
People should not use this product. Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets. Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
Do not contaminate water or food by storage or disposal. Do not reuse empty container. Securely wrap original container in several layers of newspaper and discard in trash.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Individual sensitivities may occur with any pesticide product. If they occur, consult your veterinarian immediately
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but ensure that your veterinarian knows of all of the medicines and supplements that you are giving or planning on giving to your pet.
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian.
In case of overdose, contact your veterinarian immediately or call 1-877-258-2280.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING MEDICATION?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits are of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your pet has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements including flea and tick products that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet's medicines can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant, nursing or if you plan to breed your pet
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medicines, Imidacloprid + Permethrin should only be applied to the dog for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Imidacloprid + Permethrin. If you have any questions or concerns about Imidacloprid + Permethrin, or for the condition it was prescribed, contact your veterinarian.
Join the Conversation
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!