Irrigation solutions (Rx)
TRADE NAMES:Veterinary 0.9% Sodium Chloride Irrigation, USP
Veterinary Lactated Ringer's Irrigation
Veterinary Sterile Water for Irrigation, USP
Irrigation solutions are sterile fluids that are useful to clean wounds and can also be used during arthroscopic procedures when joint irrigation is required.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- A form of sterile fluid for irrigating or lavage that may contain a variety of electrolytes
REASONS FOR USING:
- Used to clean wounds
- Used during arthroscopic procedures as a lavage to remove blood, tissue and bone fragments
Irrigation solutions are commonly used by your veterinarian during arthroscopic procedures.
If you are advised to use this product for wound cleaning, follow your veterinarian’s directions carefully.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Irrigation solutions should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
It is important to discard any unused portion as this product does not contain an antimicrobial.
Inspect irrigation solutions prior to use; they should be clear, lack discoloration and the container should be undamaged.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Irrigation solutions can result in changes to electrolyte levels
- The volume of irrigation solution can cause problems in patients with pre-existing conditions
- Inappropriate injection and delivery technique or use of non-sterile materials can result in a fever and infection of the injection site or vein
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your animal experiences any adverse reactions to this product
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE USED WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Solutions containing sodium should be used cautiously in patients receiving corticosteroids or corticotropin
- Do not give new food or medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your animal experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your animal receives more than the recommended amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT?Talk to your veterinarian about:
- What laboratory tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment
- When your animal may need to be re-examined
- What are the risks and benefits of using this form of therapy
- If your animal has experienced side effects on other drugs/products
- If your animal has experienced any other medical problems or allergies
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give your animal, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your animal’s medications can be given together.
- If your animal is pregnant, nursing or if you plan to breed in the near future
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal’s condition does not improve or worsens despite use of this product.
Check with the appropriate regulatory body regarding the use in competition horses.
This is just a summary of information about Irrigation solutions. If you have any questions or concerns about this product, please contact your veterinarian.