Kanamycin + Bismuth + Attapulgite (Rx)
TRADE NAMES:Amforol Suspension
This product is a combination of drugs commonly used to treat susceptible intestinal bacterial infections and the associated diarrhea. It is available as easy-to-administer scored tablets or a liquid.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- Combination antibiotic (kanamycin) and anti-diarrheal (bismuth subcarbonate and aluminum magnesium silicate)
- Approved for use in dogs
- Given by mouth
REASONS FOR USING:
- To treat susceptible intestinal bacterial infections and the associated diarrhea in dogs
- Kanamycin is active against Salmonella, Shigella, Alcalignes faecalis, E. coli, Proteus and Staph. aureus
WHAT DOGS/CATS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS PRODUCT?
- This product is not a substitute for appropriate management of complicated cases of diarrhea requiring veterinary care
- Use with caution when treating very young animals or those less than 5 lb
- Do not use in pets with a known kidney disorder or who are dehydrated
- Do not use in dogs with Salmonella that has spread beyond the intestines
- Pets with a known hypersensitivity to kanamycin or similar antibiotics (e.g. gentamicin or neomycin)
Kanamycin + Bismuth + Attapulgite should be given according to your veterinarian’s recommendations.
Give the exact amount recommended and only as often as directed.
Ideally, give this product at the same time(s) daily.
If your pet’s condition does not improve in 2-3 days, contact your veterinarian. If your pet’s symptoms worsen, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Do not give for longer than 5 days unless under the direction of a veterinarian.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Kanamycin + Bismuth + Attapulgite should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- This product can cause a temporary and harmless darkening of the tongue and stool
- Be aware that the treatment of intestinal Salmonella infections may result in the bacteria being shed in the stool for a prolonged period of time
- If you pet had an allergic reaction to this drug, signs may include facial swelling, hives, scratching, sudden onset of diarrhea, vomiting, shock, seizures, pale gums, cold limbs, or coma. Contact your veterinarian immediately if you observe any of these signs.
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your pet experiences any adverse reactions to this product
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but possible interactions may occur with other aminoglycosides or diuretics
- Do not use with other products that may cause hearing loss, vestibular disease or kidney disease
- Do not give new food or medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Prolonged exposure to bismuth subcarbonate has been associated with brain disorders in other species, with symptoms which may include lack of energy, muscle twitching, confusion, convulsions and coma. Early signs of toxicity include loss of balance or hearing, and vomiting. May see symptoms of kidney disease, including a change in drinking habits, lack of appetite, vomiting, depression, coma and death.
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your pet receives more than the prescribed amount or you observe any of the above signs.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING THIS MEDICATION?Talk to your veterinarian about:
- If your pet will need to be rechecked
- How long your pet will need to take Kanamycin + Bismuth + Attapulgite
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
- If your pet has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced digestive upset now or ever
- If your pet has experienced liver or kidney disease now or ever
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet's medicines can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant or nursing or if you plan to breed your pet
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment. Particularly, if the diarrhea persists for longer then 48-72 hours after initiation of treatment.
As with all prescribed medicines, Kanamycin + Bismuth + Attapulgite should only be given to the pet for which it was prescribed.
It should be given only for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Kanamycin + Bismuth + Attapulgite. If you have any questions or concerns about this product, contact your veterinarian.