KaoPect EZ Dose Suspension
Kaolin + Pectin
This product is commonly used to alleviate the symptoms of uncomplicated or mild forms of diarrhea. It is available as an oral suspension.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- This is an antidiarrheal agent that may coat the stomach and intestines providing protection from inflammation
- This is an antidiarrheal agent that may help to prevent absorption of bacteria and toxins
- Some products may also contain attapulgite or bismuth subsalicylate
- Given by mouth
REASONS FOR USING:
- To assist in the management of simple diarrhea in dogs and cats
- May be used as an adsorbent agent following ingestion of certain toxins
WHAT DOGS/CATS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS PRODUCT?
- This product is not a substitute for appropriate veterinary care in cases of complicated or severe diarrhea which may include fever, abdominal pain, lethargy, and inappetence
- Products containing bismuth subsalicylate are not recommended for use in cats and need to be used with caution in patients with known bleeding or kidney disorders
- Products containing bismuth subsalicylate are radio-opaque and can interfere with radiographic examinations of the gastrointestinal system
- Safety in pregnant or nursing pets has not been established
- Pets with a known hypersensitivity to this product
Kaolin + pectin should be given according to your veterinarian’s recommendations.
Give the exact amount recommended and only as often as directed.
Ideally, give this product at the same time(s) daily.
This product requires thorough shaking prior to administration.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Kaolin + pectin should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Avoid long term use of this product
- At high doses, this product may cause transient constipation
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your pet experiences any adverse reactions to this product
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Avoid concurrent use with aspirin, NSAIDs and steroids
- This product may affect the absorption of digoxin and lincomycin
- It is important to give this product at least 2 hours before or 3-4 hours after additional medications
- Do not give new food or medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if pet receives more than the prescribed amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING THIS MEDICATION?Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your pet will need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
- If your pet has experienced side effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced digestive upset now or ever
- If your pet has experienced liver or kidney disease now or ever
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet's medicines can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant or nursing or if you plan to breed your pet
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment, particularly if the diarrhea persists for longer than 48 hours after initiation of treatment.
As with all prescribed medicines, Kaolin + pectin should only be given to the pet for which it was prescribed.
It should be given only for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Kaolin + pectin. If you have any questions or concerns about this product or for the condition it was recommended, please contact your veterinarian.