Chlorhexidine + Ketoconazole shampoo
Chlorhexidine + Ketoconazole shampoo is an antiseborrheic shampoo useful to treat fungal and bacterial skin infections of dogs, cats and horses. Chlorhexidine + Ketoconazole shampoo is available in several sizes.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- A shampoo containing Chlorhexidine gluconate and Ketoconazole
- Used topically
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Used to treat seborrhea, pyoderma and various dermatitis conditions
- Antiseptic and cleansing; reduces bacteria and yeast populations
Read and carefully follow the dosage instructions provided by your veterinarian.
Shake bottle well before use.
Wet your animal’s coat with warm water and apply enough shampoo to make a rich lather. Avoid your pet’s eyes. Massage shampoo into the wet coat and ensure that a good lather is created. Rinse and repeat, allowing the lather to remain on the animal for at least 5-10 minutes. Rinse well with clean water. Initially, the product may be used 2-3 times per week for the first month, then once a week, or as directed by your veterinarian..
The frequency and length of use of this product depends upon the condition being treated and your animal’s response to the medication.
WHAT ANIMALS SHOULD NOT USE THIS PRODUCT?
- Chlorhexidine + Ketoconazole shampoo is not effective against parasitic infections (ie. fleas, ticks, etc.)
- Animals with a known hypersensitivity or allergy to either chlorhexidine or ketoconazole
WHAT IF A TREATMENT IS MISSED?
If a treatment is missed, perform it as soon as you can. If it is already time for the next treatment, skip the missed treatment and go back to the normal schedule.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store at controlled room temperature below 25°C (75°F).
Avoid getting it in your animal's eyes, ears or mucous membranes.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and animals. For external animal use only.
Wash hands after use.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- If redness, irritation or inflammation persists or increases, consult your veterinarian
- If you notice any unusual symptoms, discontinue use and contact your veterinarian
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE USED WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but if your animal experiences any unusual reactions when using multiple medications, contact your veterinarian.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS MEDICATION?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your animal need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your animal has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your animal has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give your animal, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your animal's medicines can be given together.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medications, Chlorhexidine + Ketoconazole shampoo should only be used on the animal for which it was prescribed.
Chlorhexidine + Ketoconazole shampoo should also only be used for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Chlorhexidine + Ketoconazole shampoo. If you have any questions or concerns about Chlorhexidine + Ketoconazole shampoo or for the condition it was prescribed, please contact your veterinarian.