LutalyseÂ® Sterile Solution
Equine Dinoprost tromethamine
This drug contains prostaglandin which is used in mares to manage their estrus cycle. It is available as an injectable solution.
WHAT IS THIS DRUG?
- A naturally-occurring fatty acid derivative
- Given by intramuscular (IM) injection
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Used to control the start of the estrus cycle allowing for predictability and scheduled breedings
Dinoprost tromethamine should be given according to your veterinarian’s instructions. Read and follow the prescription label carefully.
Give the exact amount prescribed and only as often as directed.
Give this medication for as long as your veterinarian directs. Do not skip doses or stop giving the medication without consulting your veterinarian.
Baseline blood work may be recommended to assess your mare’s general health before starting this medication.
The reproductive status of the mare needs to be established prior to use of this medication because of its potential to cause abortions.
Ideally, give this medication at the same time(s) daily.
This medication is given by intramuscular (IM) injections; it is not to be given by intravenous (IV) injections.
Common areas for intramuscular (IM) injections include the base of the neck and the hamstrings as they are both large muscles. The base of the neck provides a relatively safe location for the handler and is located in a triangle formed by the crest, the neck vertebrae, and the point of the shoulder. The hamstring locations should only be used by experienced handlers as there are increased safety risks. The top of the rump is not a recommended site because abscesses in this location are difficult to treat.
If you are unsure how your horse will react to an injection, request assistance or demonstration by your veterinarian.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Dinoprost tromethamine should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
This medication can be easily absorbed through skin, impermeable gloves are recommended.
In case of accidental skin exposure, wash immediately with soap and water.
In case of accidental eye exposure, flush immediately and seek medical attention.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally ingest this product.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
Dinoprost tromethamine should not be handled by pregnant women or women trying to become pregnant.
Dinoprost tromethamine should not be handled by individuals with asthma or other respiratory disease.
Women of child-bearing age should use extreme caution when handling this medication due to effects on the menstrual cycle.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Adverse reactions can occur with intravenous (IV) injections
- Improper injection techniques can lead to severe bacterial infections
- This medication can cause a decrease in body temperature, sweating, incoordination, abdominal discomfort, and an increase in respiratory rate and heart rate
- All medication has the potential to cause an immediate allergic or anaphylactic reaction. Affected animals may have a swelling, hives, changes in respiration, and display signs of agitation. This can be a severe and life threatening reaction, immediate veterinary care may be required.
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your horse experiences any adverse reactions to this medication
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Avoid concurrent use with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Drugs other than those listed may also interact with Dinoprost tromethamine
- Do not give new food or medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your horse experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your horse receives more than the prescribed amount.
WHAT HORSES SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION?
- Not for use in pregnant mares
- Not for use in horses with known cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, respiratory or reproductive disease
- Not for use in horses with a known hypersensitivity to this drug
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your horse’s condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
This product should not be used in horses intended for human consumption.
Check with the appropriate regulatory body regarding the use in competition horses.
As with all prescribed medication, Dinoprost tromethamine should only be given to the horse for which it was prescribed.
It should be given only for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Dinoprost tromethamine. If you have any questions or concerns about this product or for the condition it was prescribed, please contact your veterinarian.