Metaflumizone + Amitraz for Dogs
Metaflumizone + Amitraz for Dogs and Puppies is a monthly, topical spot-on product used to treat existing flea and tick infestations, as well as to prevent re-infestation. It is also used for the control of chewing lice and Demodectic mange. It can be used on dogs as young as 8 weeks of age for treatment and prevention of these insects.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- Metaflumizone + Amitraz for Dogs and Puppies is an antiparasitic agent
- A topical single-spot product
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- To treat and control existing infestations of fleas (for 6 weeks), ticks (for up to 4 weeks), chewing lice and Demodectic mange mites
- Provide on-going protection against fleas and ticks and the diseases they may transmit
- Starts killing ticks withing 4 hours. Kills most ticks within 24 hours.
WHAT PETS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION?
- Do not use this on puppies less than 8 weeks of age
- Do not use on cats or other animals
- Do not use on lactating or nursing bitches until at least 5 days after delivery. May be used on breeding males, as well as breeding and pregnant bitches.
- Consult your veterinarian before using this product on debilitated, aged, medicated pets
- Dogs suffering from heat stress
- If your pet has had an allergic reaction to amitraz, other monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), metaflumizone or like products
Read and follow the label carefully. For external use on dogs only.
Metaflumizone + Amitraz for Dogs and Puppies is available in five package presentations for different body weights. Your veterinarian has chosen the correct package based upon your dog's weight.
Apply a single dose once monthly or as recommended by your veterinarian.
Remove one applicator from the foil pouch. Hold the applicator upright for three seconds to avoid splash when opening.
Use two hands to hold both ends of the applicator with the printed side facing you and the narrow end pointing upward and away from your face.
Open applicator tube by bending the tip towards yourself and breaking it along the fracture line. Be careful to not squeeze the applicator when opening. Avoid touching the applicator opening.
Fold tip back against the printed side of the applicator. Hold the applicator in one hand using your thumb to hold the tip back against the printed side.
Your dog should be standing or in a comfortable position for easy application.
Push the open tip through your dog's hair coat onto the dog's skin at the base of the skull or between the shoulder blades. Squeeze applicator to apply the entire contents to the dog's skin. Avoid superficial application onto the pet's hair.
Avoid contact with the treated area until dry.
Treating your dog in the evening and isolating them from your family during the night will reduce the amount of contact with this product.
Use a reminder system to ensure that you do not miss a dose.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can, but do not re-apply more often than every 30 days unless instructed by your veterinarian. Begin a new schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Wear rubber gloves during application to reduce the potential for skin contact. Wash hands with soap and water after application. Avoid contact with treated area until dry.
This product can cause moderate eye irritation. Harmful if swallowed or absorbed through the skin. Prolonged or frequently repeated skin contact may cause allergic reactions in some individuals.
Do not use this product on people. Pregnant women, women who are breast feeding, and diabetics should use particular care to avoid contact with this product during and following application. People taking MAOI medications should use particular caution during application and until this product is completely dry.
Do not use on cats nor allow a cat to ingest this product through grooming a recently treated dog. If this occurs, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Store this product in its original packaging in a cool, dry place out of reach of children and animals.
Combustible. Do not store near heat or open flame.
Do not contaminate water, food or feed by storage or disposal. Dispose of the package in trash or offer for recycling if available. If partially filled, call your local solid waste agency for disposal instructions. Never place unused products down a drain.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Side effects could occur if this product is licked. Be sure to apply the product at the base of the skull or between the shoulder blades to reduce the chance of ingestion during grooming. Prevent other pets in the household from licking the product as well. Ingestion of this product may cause head shaking, licking, lethargy and salivation. These symptoms should resolve without treatment.
- A temporary irritation may develop at the site of administration.
- Individual sensitivities can occur after using any pesticide. Observe your pet following treatment.
- If skin irritation, change in behavior, vomiting or diarrhea is observed and persists, contact your veterinarian.
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but possible interactions may occur with tricyclic antidepressants (ex. amitriptylline), MAOI products (ex. Anipryl, Selegiline, Mitaban Dip, Preventic collar), meperidine, and SSRIs (ex. fluoxetine, Prozac, Reconcile). Ensure that your veterinarian knows all of the medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription.
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian.
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your pet receives more than the prescribed amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING MEDICATION?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medicines, Metaflumizone + Amitraz for Dogs and Puppies should only be given to the pet for which it was prescribed.
It should be given only for the condition for which it was prescribed.