TRADE NAMES:ProHeart 6
Moxidectin is an injectable parasiticde given at the veterinary clinic to dogs 6 months of age and older to prevent heartworm disease continuously for 6 months. It also treats common hookworm infections. Dogs should be tested for heartworm disease prior to treatment.
WHAT IS THIS DRUG?
- Moxidectin is an injectable parasiticide
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING?
- Used in dogs six months of age and older to prevent heartworm disease (Dirofilaria immitis) continuously for six months and to treat common hookworm infections (Ancylostoma caninum and Uncinaria stenocephala).
WHAT DOGS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION?
- Sick, debilitated or underweight animals
- Use with caution in dogs with pre-existing allergic disease, including previous vaccine reactions, food allergy, atopy, and flea allergy dermatitis. Dogs should be tested for heartworm disease prior to being treated with moxidectin. If your dog tests positive for adult heartworms, your veterinarian should treat the infection with an appropriate medication before administering moxidectin.
Your veterinarian will calculate how much medication your dog will require.
The injection is given subcutaneously (under the skin).
Initial injections should be given within 1 month of your dog's first exposure to mosquitoes. Follow up treatments may be given every 6 months if your dog has continued exposure to mosquitoes, and your dog continues to be healthy without weight loss.
When replacing another heartworm preventive product, moxidection should be given within 1 month of the last dose of the former medication.
Moxidectin eliminates larval and adult stages of 2 types of hookworms. Re-infection may occur sooner than 6 months.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS?
- Severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis): facial swelling, itching, difficulty breathing, collapse
- Some severe allergic reactions can be an emergency which require immediate veterinary assistance. Signs of a severe allergic reaction often occur within the first hour but may occur at any time during the first 24 hours after treatment. Please watch your dog closely for any of the above signs for 24 hours after treatment with moxidectin because these signs may indicate that your dog is having a severe allergic reaction.
- Lethargy (sluggishness), not eating or losing interest in food, any change in activity level
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea (with and without blood)
- Weight loss
- Pale gums, increased thirst or urination, weakness, bleeding, bruising
- Rare instances of death
If you notice any of these side effects or have any concerns about your dog, please contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- In well-controlled clinical studies, moxidectin was used safely in dogs receiving other veterinary products such as anthelmintics, antiparasitics, antibiotics, analgesics, steroids, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), anesthetics, and flea control products. Allergic reactions, sometimes serious, have been reported when moxidectin and vaccinations have been given at the same time. Talk to your veterinarian about the risks of administering moxidectin at the same time as vaccinations. Tell your veterinarian about all medicines you have given your dog in the past, and any medicines that you are planning to use with moxidectin.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK YOUR VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING MEDICATION?
- Your veterinarian is your best resource for recommending appropriate medications for your dog. It is important to discuss your dog's health history with your veterinarian so he/she can decide if moxidectin is right for your dog.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
This sheet provides a summary of information about moxidectin. If you have any questions or concerns about moxidectin, talk to your veterinarian.
Several studies have shown that by the end of the six-month treatment period, the amount of moxidectin remaining in the body is too small to measure. An additional study demonstrated that after four consecutive treatments there was no accumulation of moxidectin over time.
Read the package insert for more information.
To obtain additional information, visit the website at www.proheart6.com, or call 1-800-366-5288.