Muricin® (mupirocin) Ointment 2%
Mupirocin ointment is a topical antibiotic ointment used to treat surface bacterial infections in dogs. Mupirocin ointment is available in 15 g tubes.
WHAT IS THIS DRUG?
- A naturally-occurring, broad spectrum antibiotic in a bland, water-washable ointment base
- Registered for use in dogs
- Used topically
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Used to treat topical bacterial infections, including superficial pyoderma, caused by susceptible strains of Staphylococcus bacteria
Read and follow the label carefully.
Depending upon the type of lesion or wound, your veterinarian may want to perform a culture evaluation of the site prior to starting this medication.
For serious burns, deep or puncture wounds, contact your veterinarian.
Surface lesions or wounds: Cleanse the affected area well. Apply ointment twice a day. Apply enough ointment to completely cover the entire area.
The frequency and length of use of this product depends upon the condition being treated and your animal’s response to the medication.
The manufacturer does not recommend using this product for longer than 30 days.
WHAT IF A TREATMENT IS MISSED?
If a treatment is missed, perform it as soon as you can. If it is already time for the next treatment, skip the missed treatment and go back to the normal schedule.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store at controlled room temperature 15-30°C (59-86°F). Keep container tightly closed when not in use. Protect from freezing.
Not for ophthalmic use. Avoid getting it in your animal’s eyes or mucous membranes. If contact is made, flush promptly and thoroughly with clean water.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and animals. For external animal use only.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Due to a potential hazard for kidney damage due to polyethylene glycol content (in the product base), use care if treating extensive deep lesions as absorption of large quantities of polyethylene glycol may occur
- If redness, irritation or inflammation persists or increases, discontinue use and consult your veterinarian
- If you notice any unusual symptoms, discontinue use and contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if you pet has accidentally ingested this medication or has received more than the prescribed amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS MEDICATION?Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your dog need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
- If your dog has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your dog has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet's medicines can be given together.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medications, Mupirocin ointment should only be used on the animal for which it was prescribed.
Mupirocin ointment should also only be used for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Mupirocin ointment. If you have any questions or concerns about Mupirocin ointment or the condition it was prescribed for, please contact your veterinarian.