Click here to learn more.
Vetstreet. All rights reserved.
Vetstreet does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. See Additional Information ›
Dogs can be trained to fetch slippers and race through tunnels in
agility classes, but it's next to impossible to teach them to stay clear of bees, wasps and hornets.
That's because dogs and cats investigate the world using their noses and paws — the two prime targets of insect stings.
We spoke to
Dr. Arnold Plotnick, DVM, of Manhattan
Cat Specialists in New York City, and
Dr. Paul Richieri, DVM, owner of the Melrose Veterinary Hospital in California, about what you should do if your dog or cat does suffer an unfortunate sting — and how you can reduce the risk of a bite in your backyard.
In most cases, there will be mild swelling and tenderness where the
dog or cat was stung, usually on the face or paws, says Dr. Richieri, adding, “if it is swollen and a little puffy, it is a localized reaction to the sting.”
To stop the venom from spreading, try to remove the stinger as quickly as possible.
“The stinger can pulsate venom into a dog or cat for up to two to three minutes after being separated from the bee,” Dr. Plotnick explains. “Removal of the stinger should be done using a credit card to scrape it out. Do not try to squeeze the stinger out with your fingers or use tweezers because the venom sac may rupture, further exposing the pet to more venom.”
Monitor your pet to make sure that the swelling does not increase or spread. And contact your veterinarian, who will most likely advise you to give your pet
Benadryl (diphenhydramine), an over-the-counter antihistamine. Your vet needs to instruct you on the correct dosage, based on your pet's weight. You also need to make sure that the product contains
To reduce the swelling, apply a cold compress. You can run a washcloth under some cool tap water and then wrap it around or press it onto the site of the sting.
Some dogs and
cats may be allergic to bee stings, and they can go into anaphylactic shock (and even die) if they don’t receive immediate veterinary attention.
“If your dog gets stung by a bee and starts
vomiting within five to 10 minutes and his gums become pale, that’s when you know they are going into anaphylactic shock,” Dr. Richieri says. “At our clinic, we see one or two dogs a week with severe reactions, and we treat them with IV fluids to prevent shock and give steroids and Benadryl injections into the bloodstream immediately. They normally need to stay at the clinic for 48 hours before we determine if they are healthy enough to go home.”
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Take our breed quiz to find your next pet.
Get all the best pet news and information sent right to your inbox!
Thank you for subscribing!
When fans heard that the singer visited a
cat café and loved on a cat named Larry,
they lined up at Catfe to…
For the most part, you don't need to worry
if your kitty doesn't make this common
warning sound. Our vet explains why.
A people-loving dog who hails from Italy,
the Bracco Italiano is usually happiest
when he's with his family or out…
Do cats follow us to get our attention, or
could it be a sign of love? Our expert
shares her top reasons for this…
Parasites are no fun for dogs. Learn how
to protect your canine from heartworms,
hookworms, whipworms and more.
Check out our collection of more than 250 videos about pet training, animal behavior, dog and cat breeds and more.
Wonder which dog or cat best fits your lifestyle? Our new tool will narrow down more than 300 breeds for you.
Visit HealthyPet magazine for interviews with pet-loving celebrities, health advice from our experts, training tips and…
If the video doesn't start playing momentarily,
please install the latest version of Flash.
Thank you for subscribing.