Click here to learn more.
It's National Penguin Awareness Day, and we here at Vetstreet think there's no better way to celebrate the many species of waddlers out there than to share some cool facts about these curious creatures, who inhabit frosty (and sometimes toasty) habitats.
1. Although all penguins live in the Southern Hemisphere, they can be found in South Africa, Antarctica, the coast of South America, the Galapagos, Southern Australia and New Zealand.
2. The largest species of penguin is the Emperor, with an average length of 36 to 44 inches, while the smallest penguin species is the Little Blue, which averages 10 to 12 inches in height.
3. Penguins can swim close to 15 miles per hour — far outpacing Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps, whose top speed is only around 4.7 miles per hour.
4. Penguins' waterproof feathers are tightly packed to insulate them against frigid temperatures, but they can open their feathers to feel the cold.
5. Penguins mate for life. However, the yellow-eyed penguin is so reclusive that if two pairs catch sight of one another, their breeding season will not be successful.
6. The African penguin is sometimes referred to as the jackass because this species brays like a donkey.
Our penguin facts were provided by the following: New England Aquarium, Penguin Facts and answers.com.
Click here for more Vetstreet penguin coverage.
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Thank you for subscribing to Petwire. Look for the latest newsletter each Wednesday.
Manatees risk losing their endangered
status — and one organization needs
your help to prevent that from happening.
Hundreds of mourners gathered to pay
their respects to Kye, a police K9 killed in
the line of duty in Oklahoma City.
Jiff landed two Guinness World Records titles: fastest 10 meters on hind legs and fastest 5 meters on front paws.
Dr. Marty Becker shares feline breeds known for their brains and trainability, from the Abyssinian to the Siamese.
Patrick, who's believed to be the oldest wombat in the world, celebrated his big birthday at a wildlife park in…
The 274 experts we surveyed wouldn’t call these dogs lazy, but these pups may have better things to do than learn a…
The friendly and inquisitive LaPerm has an easy-care coat that comes in a variety of colors and patterns.
If the video doesn't start playing momentarily,
please install the latest version of Flash.
Thank you for subscribing.