Click here to learn more.
It's National Penguin Awareness Day, and we here at Vetstreet think there's no better way to celebrate the many species of waddlers out there than to share some cool facts about these curious creatures, who inhabit frosty (and sometimes toasty) habitats.
1. Although all penguins live in the Southern Hemisphere, they can be found in South Africa, Antarctica, the coast of South America, the Galapagos, Southern Australia and New Zealand.
2. The largest species of penguin is the Emperor, with an average length of 36 to 44 inches, while the smallest penguin species is the Little Blue, which averages 10 to 12 inches in height.
3. Penguins can swim close to 15 miles per hour — far outpacing Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps, whose top speed is only around 4.7 miles per hour.
4. Penguins' waterproof feathers are tightly packed to insulate them against frigid temperatures, but they can open their feathers to feel the cold.
5. Penguins mate for life. However, the yellow-eyed penguin is so reclusive that if two pairs catch sight of one another, their breeding season will not be successful.
6. The African penguin is sometimes referred to as the jackass because this species brays like a donkey.
Our penguin facts were provided by the following: New England Aquarium, Penguin Facts and answers.com.
Click here for more Vetstreet penguin coverage.
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Thank You For Signing Up
for the Petwire newsletter, sending you all the pet news each week directly to your inbox.
Get the latest pet news, tips, tricks, and expert advice sent right to your inbox!
Thanks to a microchip, Brandon Peterson found his Welsh Terrier, who went missing while he was serving in Iraq.
The group Dogs on Deployment arranges temporary homes for all kinds of animals, from canines to chinchillas.
Dr. Ann Hohenhaus explains why this procedure provides critical information for determining the prognosis of a pet.
We get a peek inside the creatures’ world with video captured by cameras that six bears wore on collars around…
This Memorial Day, we’re honoring Reckless, a Mongolian mare who served with a platoon of battle-tested…
Slugs, Pugs, hummingbirds and crows are just a few of the many creatures we spotted in the trailer for Epic.
The big, affectionate Ragdoll will love to snuggle in your lap and gaze at you with her beautiful baby blues.
If the video doesn't start playing momentarily,
please install the latest version of Flash.