Click here to learn more.
George, a 2-year-old Basset Hound from South Heindley, West Yorkshire, U.K., was strangled by a phone cord — and miraculously saved his own life by calling 999, the British equivalent of 911, reports The Sun.
George knocked over a heavy-duty, old-fashioned phone in owner Steve Brown’s home; he became tangled in the cord and wound up with it wrapped around his neck. Somehow, George — in the midst of choking — managed to dial 999 with his paw.
The emergency operator heard heavy breathing and gasping on the other end and alerted the authorities, who entered the house with the help of a neighbor, Paul Walker, who had a key.
Walker saw the dog choking and ripped the cord free from the phone to save him.
He told The Sun: "Incredibly you could see where his paw print was on the phone to ring 999 — he literally saved his own life."
Lydia Brown, the daughter of George's owner, expressed equal amazement at the Basset's lifesaving feat, telling The Sun, "He's really dopey and just likes to chew socks."
George isn't sounding quite so dopey now, though.
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Thank you for subscribing to Petwire. Look for the latest newsletter each Wednesday.
The Oklahoma City Zoo is hand-rearing a
baby western lowland gorilla who wasn't
being cared for by her mother.
In honor of National Take Your Cat to the
Vet Day today, "Vetstreet Laboratories"
and Dr. Andy Roark…
Dr. Patty Khuly reveals why dogs have a
penchant for sniffing poop, dead animals
and other disgusting aromas.
Dr. Laurie Hess shows off all the fun
activities offered for birds, ferrets, snakes,
hedgehogs and even a pot-bellied…
Dr. Tina Wismer describes mushrooms
that are toxic to pets, and how to tell if
your animal has ingested any.
The hardy Icelandic Sheepdog has the
typical prick ears, curled tail and fondness
for barking of his Spitz relatives.
If the video doesn't start playing momentarily,
please install the latest version of Flash.
Thank you for subscribing.