Click here to learn more.
George, a 2-year-old Basset Hound from South Heindley, West Yorkshire, U.K., was strangled by a phone cord — and miraculously saved his own life by calling 999, the British equivalent of 911, reports The Sun.
George knocked over a heavy-duty, old-fashioned phone in owner Steve Brown’s home; he became tangled in the cord and wound up with it wrapped around his neck. Somehow, George — in the midst of choking — managed to dial 999 with his paw.
The emergency operator heard heavy breathing and gasping on the other end and alerted the authorities, who entered the house with the help of a neighbor, Paul Walker, who had a key.
Walker saw the dog choking and ripped the cord free from the phone to save him.
He told The Sun: "Incredibly you could see where his paw print was on the phone to ring 999 — he literally saved his own life."
Lydia Brown, the daughter of George's owner, expressed equal amazement at the Basset's lifesaving feat, telling The Sun, "He's really dopey and just likes to chew socks."
George isn't sounding quite so dopey now, though.
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Thank You For Signing Up
for the Petwire newsletter, sending you all the pet news each week directly to your inbox.
Get the latest pet news, tips, tricks, and expert advice sent right to your inbox!
Bo and Sunny are featured in the pop-up holiday card from the White House that arrived in mailboxes this week.
A calm space will keep your animal from reacting to the stress of holiday guests with bad or even dangerous…
Pet food recalls due to salmonella are on the rise. Dr. Tina Wismer shares what precautions pet owners should take.
Most of us only think about insects when they're bugging us. But the truth is, they keep our natural world…
Take a peek at what Santa's reindeer are doing when they're not flying with the big guy on Christmas Eve.
Dr. Andy Roark has a message for those thinking about “blessing” unsuspecting souls with a surprise pet:…
The Siberian Husky has been popular ever since a team of these dogs delivered lifesaving medicine to Nome, Alaska.
If the video doesn't start playing momentarily,
please install the latest version of Flash.