Click here to learn more.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T, says Aretha, is all she’s askin’. Same goes for me. Only I’m not talking about what a man should muster, rather what plenty of cat owners should manage more of on behalf of their felines.
Turns out some cat lovers don’t care for their feline pets to the same tune they do their dogs. So say veterinarians like me who observe the differences between how people treat their own beloved cats and dogs on a daily basis.
Pharmaceutical giant Bayer HealthCare and the American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) conducted a study that confirmed our suspicions. Here’s a quick summary of the basic findings I received firsthand at a lovely lunchtime press event last month at the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) conference in Chicago:
So what’s up with that?
1. The economic impact of the recession. The study was conducted during the height of the economic downturn.
2. Fragmentation of veterinary services. Lots of choices in veterinarians and specialists can be confusing and can actually interrupt access to vet services.
3. The use of the Internet versus office visits. Lots of cat owners seek help in inexpensive places first.
4. Feline resistance. Cats don’t like going to the vet.
5. Perception that regular medical checkups are unnecessary. Veterinarians aren’t always very good at communicating the importance of regular vet visits.
6. Cost of care. Fundamental health care costs have skyrocketed, and veterinary hospitals haven’t been unaffected.
All of that makes sense. But that still doesn’t explain why cats receive less care than dogs do. After all, all six of these causes could be applied to the case of dogs, too. Which is why I think this issue is less to do with economics and more about why cats garner less attention than their canine counterparts.
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Thank You For Signing Up
for the Petwire newsletter, sending you all the pet news each week directly to your inbox.
Get the latest pet news, tips, tricks, and expert advice sent right to your inbox!
The 1-year-old Portuguese Water Dog couldn't contain her excitement when she met a 2-year-old girl at the White…
December 5 is National Volunteer Day. Celebrate by lending a hand to shelters, zoos and other animal organizations.
‘Tis the season for Amnesty Days, when Floridians can turn in exotics instead of illegally releasing them in…
The livestream features Christmas music, a quirky cat lady, an elf, an over-the-top holiday setting and adoptable…
We searched our database of 925,000 pups born since January 1 to declare today’s top monikers for dogs.
Dr. Marty Becker marvels at things like underwater treadmills for rehab and vet specialties in toxicology and…
The three cheetah babies at Burgers' Zoo in the Netherlands are spending lots of quality time with their mom.
When it comes to natural, organic and low-fat food options, protect your animal's health by knowing what you are…
The Bloodhound is celebrated for his super sleuthing skills, so you'll need to safeguard your yard like Alcatraz.
If the video doesn't start playing momentarily,
please install the latest version of Flash.