Click here to learn more.
Summertime means picnics and outdoor living… as well as bees, wasps, hornets, fire ants and other biting, stinging bugs that can make life miserable.
Various members of the insect family can cause problems for not just us but also for our pets. Bees, wasps, yellow jackets and hornets are commonly encountered in both urban and rural landscapes. Some pets are fascinated with these flying insects and will endlessly try to catch them — with occasionally painful results. Unfortunately, sometimes these insects' activities or nests place them close to the ground where pet attention is almost guaranteed.
With most stings, you won't know anything has occurred until you see your pet with a swollen face or notice him limping. Facial swelling (angioedema), eyelid swelling and hives are commonly seen after a pet is stung. In the case of a bee, if you can locate the stinger, use a credit card or fingernail to gently scrape it out. Many times, however, the stinger cannot be located. You can use a cool compress on the affected area to help reduce the swelling and pain. Do not use an ice pack as that can cause frost bite. Monitor your pet for a couple of hours to make sure signs are not worsening.
Discuss with your veterinarian if there are any additional home remedies you can use. Aloe Vera gel or a baking soda paste can be used, but you will need to keep the animal from licking the area. Antihistamines can be used in mild cases, but be sure to call your veterinarian to find out which product is safe for your pet and what the appropriate dose is.
If your pet experiences a severe reaction (anaphylaxis), see the veterinarian immediately. Anaphylaxis is a shock type of reaction. Your pet may have difficulty breathing, trembling, diarrhea, pale gums, weakness or may even be unconscious. If any of these symptoms occur, take him immediately to your veterinarian — this is an emergency! Your veterinarian may need to administer antihistamines, steroids or other medications to help reverse the problems. In sensitive animals, a single sting can result in anaphylaxis. Many times, veterinarians will prescribe an epi-pen-type auto injector for animals with a history of anaphylaxis. Owners are then able to start treatment on the way to the veterinarian.
Encounters with Africanized bees or animals that get more than 10 stings per pound can result in death. These animals can die from multiple organ failure. If your pet receives multiple stings, you must get your animal to the veterinarian immediately. You can help keep your pet safe by placing low fenced borders around flowering plants and by noticing and avoiding any insect nest sites.
People living in the southern United States also have to contend with fire ants, an invasive species that was first accidentally imported into this country from Brazil in the early 1900s. Fire ants are extremely aggressive and will bite anyone or anything that they feel is threatening them or their mound. Fire ant bites are extremely painful. The ants inject an oily venom that produces a reddened, raised bump. With some species of fire ants, within 24 hours these reddened bumps will turn into a white pustule that can become infected. Do not allow your pet to scratch the bites.
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Thank you for subscribing to Petwire. Look for the latest newsletter each Wednesday.
The nation was captivated by two Arizona
llamas on the run who led police on a
nearly three-hour chase on Thursday.
Cats and dogs shouldn't have bad breath
or swollen gums. Find out how to tell if
your animal has dental disease.
Here are 6 critical things to do before you
take one on, like examining your finances
and deciding if you’re…
We asked an expert for advice on what to do if your animal gets the parasites and how to prevent them from coming back.
Thanks to his webbed feet, the Spanish
Water Dog has a knack for swimming,
boating and playing in water.
If the video doesn't start playing momentarily,
please install the latest version of Flash.
Thank you for subscribing.