Why Microchipping Dogs Works

Can a Microchip Hurt My Dog?

Some owners are concerned that the chip will cause an allergic reaction in the dog, or will migrate to some other part of the dog. Chips have been in use for many years, having been implanted in millions of pets and proving to be very safe. Chips are made of inert biocompatible materials, so that they do not cause allergic reactions. In the early years, some chips did migrate under the skin, but new technology has made migration rare.

If you lose a dog that is microchipped, contact the chip manufacturer company with the pet's ID number. If you don't have the ID number at hand (and you should), the veterinarian who implanted the chip should have it. If you find a dog, take him to a shelter or veterinarian to be scanned. If he has a chip, the owner can be found.

Microchips do not take the place of license tags. Microchips cannot be seen. They do come with a collar tag advising that the dog is chipped. Old-fashioned license tags can be read by anyone who finds your dog, and are ideal for quick turnarounds of lost dogs. But tags are often lost when dogs are lost, and microchips are the only reliable permanent means of identification.

Dogs have been reunited with their owners years after being lost, thanks to their microchip. Don't let your dog leave home without it.

Join the Conversation

Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!

/WEB-INF/ui/shared/component/footer.jsp