Click here to learn more.
Vetstreet. All rights reserved.
Vetstreet does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. See Additional Information ›
Dr. Tina Wismer is the medical director of the ASPCA Animal Poison
Control Center in Urbana, Illinois. She is board certified by both the American Board of Toxicology
and American Board
of Veterinary Toxicology.
dog eats a mushroom bought at the grocery store, there is little risk of poisoning. Most mushrooms that are safe for people are also safe for pets. Wild mushrooms, unfortunately, may be deadly. And in the fall and spring, they can be a concern in many parts of the country. Dogs are more frequently affected by mushroom poisoning due to their scavenging while in the yard or on walks, but
cats can be affected, too. In general, you should consult your veterinarian immediately if you suspect mushroom ingestion — and get a sample of the fungus if you are able.
Mushrooms of many different species are found in parks, yards and woods. Wild mushrooms range from edible varieties to those that
cause vomiting and/or hallucinations — or even liver failure and death — in people and pets. Mushroom identification is very difficult, and you should consult a trained professional before eating a wild mushroom of any kind. Mushroom types vary around the country, and the appropriate departments of colleges, schools or agricultural extension offices should be consulted when attempting to identify mushrooms, as their prevalence, preferred locations, suspected toxicity and even physical appearance can differ by region.
To make things even more difficult, the mushroom your dog eats may not be the same as the one still on the lawn. Many varieties grow in the same conditions, and
dogs may ingest one type but leave another in the same location untouched, thus leading to a false assumption about what variety was eaten. In addition, many mushrooms, especially those found everywhere and commonly called "little brown mushrooms," can look similar yet cause different symptoms that ultimately may be lethal.
Despite their outward appearances, mushrooms are typically grouped by toxicologists and mycologists (those who study mushrooms) according to the dominant suspected toxin they contain (although many poisonous mushrooms may contain more than one toxic substance). Many mushrooms are also known by their common names, but since these can vary by country, region or culture, the same mushroom can be called several things. Here is a brief overview, based on calls to the ASPCA's poison control hotline, of some of the more common mushrooms that cause problems in pets. See our
companion photo gallery for a look at some of the more recognizable species of potentially poisonous mushrooms found in North America.
mushroom species cause only gastrointestinal upset. Depending on the species,
affected dogs begin to vomit within 15 minutes to several hours after ingestion; the
vomiting can last a few hours to a couple of days.
Like this article? Have a point of view to share? Let us know!
Thank you for subscribing to Petwire. Look for the latest newsletter each Wednesday.
An off-duty Nashville firefighter who was
passing by the scene of a fire rushed
inside to save a trapped dog.
Just like humans, pets can be susceptible
to seasonal allergies, but the symptoms
may not be what you'd expect.
Dr. Sarah Wooten explains what it really
means when some canines kick the grass
after going to the bathroom.
Do you know what your kitten is saying
with his eyes, ears and tail? Our photo
gallery can help decipher his subtle…
It’s National Veterinary Technician Week!
We put together this adorable slideshow
to honor vet techs for all that…
Dr. Marty Becker shares the pros and
cons of feeding homemade food, plus
some common-sense guidelines.
Get ready to cringe (and laugh). We
asked our readers to share their most
mortifying pet bathroom tales.
The Great Pyrenees, who was bred to protect livestock from predators such as wolves, is an excellent watchdog.
Take our breed quiz to find your next pet.
If the video doesn't start playing momentarily,
please install the latest version of Flash.
Thank you for subscribing.