Posatex™ Otic Suspension
Orbifloxacin + Mometasone + Posaconazole Otic
This once-a-day ear medication contains an antibacterial, an anti-inflammatory and an antifungal agent. It is useful for treating canine otitis externa (outer ear infections) when caused by susceptible yeast or bacteria. Orbifloxacin + Mometasone + Posaconazole Otic is available as a suspension in 7.5 g, 15 g and 30 g plastic bottles.
WHAT IS THIS DRUG?
- A combination of a fluoroquinolone antibiotic (orbifloxacin), an anti-inflammatory (mometasone furoate monohydrate) and an antifungal agent (posaconazole)
- Orbifloxacin is a broad spectrum antibiotic effective against bacteria associated with ear infections in dogs (including Pseudomonas aeruginosa)
- Posaconazole is a new triazole antifungal and is particularly effective against Malassezia pachydermatitis organisms
- Mometasone is a strong anti-inflammatory with a good margin of adrenal safety
- Orbifloxacin + Mometasone + Posaconazole Otic requires a prescription from your veterinarian
- Used in dogs' ears
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- For the treatment of dogs with severe otitis externa associated with yeast and/or bacteria sensitive to orbifloxacin
- To reduce the discomfort, redness, swelling, crusty material and odor associated with ear inflammations and infections
- Orbifloxacin + Mometasone + Posaconazole Otic may also be prescribed for uses other than those listed above
WHAT PETS SHOULD NOT USE THIS MEDICATION?
- This product is approved for use in dogs only
- Pets with a ruptured ear drum
- Safety has not been established in breeding, pregnant or nursing cats
- Use with caution in young animals as quninolone use has been shown to cause joint issues in immature animals
- If your pet has had an allergic reaction to quinolones, mometasone, posaconazole or to ingredients in similar products
Read and follow the label carefully.
Your veterinarian will need to examine the ears to ensure that the ear drum(s) is/are intact.
Your veterinarian may want to perform a culture evaluation of the ear prior to starting this medication.
The external ear should be thoroughly cleaned and dried before treatment. Excessive hair should be trimmed from the treatment area. Have your veterinarian or veterinary technician show you how to properly clean your dog's ears and apply this product.
Shake well before using.
Dogs <30 lb: Instill 4 drops into each ear canal, once daily.
Dogs >30 lb: Instill 8 drops into each ear canal, once daily.
Instill the exact amount as prescribed into affected ear(s) and only as often as directed. Massage the external ear canal carefully to ensure adequate medication distribution.
Continue therapy for 7 days, or as long as recommended by your veterinarian, even if the ears appear better.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a treatment is missed, perform it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next treatment, skip the missed treatment and go back to the normal schedule.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store between 2° and 30°C (36° and 86°F). Shake bottle well before use.
Do not administer orally. Avoid getting this product in your pet's eyes, nose or mouth.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets. Not for human use.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- If hearing loss, head tilt or dizziness are noted, discontinue use of this product immediately and contact your veterinarian.
- Avoid prolonged or repeated use of this product, due to the inclusion of a corticosteroid (mometasone). Long term use of steroids has been associated with adrenocortical suppression and Cushing’s disease.
- Contact your veterinarian immediately if you think your pet has a medical problem or side effect from this product's therapy
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but do not give or use other corticosteroids and avoid using other ear medications during treatment with this medication unless prescribed by your veterinarian
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian.
If you know or suspect an overdose, or if the medication was ingested, contact your veterinarian immediately.
What else should I know?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medicines, Orbifloxacin + Mometasone + Posaconazole Otic should only be used on the pet for which it was prescribed.
It should also only be used for the condition for which it was prescribed.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING MEDICATION?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your pet need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
- If your pet has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has any hearing loss
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet's medicines can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant, nursing or if you plan to breed your pet