Praziquantel + Pyrantel pamoate
TRADE NAMES:D-Worm Combo Flavored Chewables for Medium & Large Dogs
D-Worm Combo Flavored Chewables for Puppies & Small Dogs
Drontal (praziquantel/pyrantel pamoate) Tablets
Sentry HC Worm X Plus Flavored De-Wormer Chewables For Medium & Large Dogs
Sentry HC Worm X Plus Flavored De-Wormer Chewables For Small Dogs & Puppies
Sergeant's Vetscription Worm Away 7 Flavored Dog De-Wormer Chewables For Medium & Large Dogs
Sergeant's Vetscription Worm Away 7 Flavored Dog De-Wormer Chewables For Small Dogs & Puppies
Triple Wormer Chewable Flavored Dog De-Wormer Tablets for Medium & Large Dogs
Triple Wormer Chewable Flavored Dog De-Wormer Tablets for Puppies & Small Dogs
VIRBANTEL Flavored Chewables (114 mg)
VIRBANTEL Flavored Chewables (30 mg)
Praziquantel + pyrantel pamoate is an anthelmintic (dewormer) to kill your cat's tapeworms, hookworms and roundworms. Tablets may be given directly by mouth or mixed in the food. Fasting is not recommended. Praziquantel + pyrantel pamoate is available in tablet form.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- An anthelmintic (dewormer) for cats
- Given by mouth
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- To kill the common tapeworm in cats
WHAT DOGS/CATS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION?
- Praziquantel + pyrantel pamoate are safe to use in breeding and pregnant animals.
- Kittens less than 1 month of age or weighing less than 1.5 pounds
- If your pet has had an earlier allergic reaction to praziquantel, pyrantel pamoate or like products
Read and follow the label carefully.
Fasting is not necessary prior nor recommended.
Tablets may be given with or without food.
Ensure that your pet swallows all of the medication.
A single treatment may be sufficient, but a second dose 2-4 weeks later is recommended if re-infection is likely. Re-infection is possible if there is a heavy, uncontrolled flea problem or if the pet eats mice or rabbits.
If your animal has a large load of tapeworms, after treatment you may see them expelled with a bowel movement. Usually however, they are digested and will not be seen. Hookworms and roundworms may be observed in the feces a few days after treatment with a combination product.
To maximize the benefit of deworming, it is best to treat all animals in the environment. Periodic fecal exams are recommended to monitor effectiveness and re-exposure to parasites.
Some intestinal parasites can infect humans. Strict hygienic precautions should be observed when handling infected pets and their feces. Consult your veterinarian or family doctor to discuss how to prevent human infection and re-infection of your pet.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store in a tight, light resistant, childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
Not for human use. Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Side effects are rare, but oral forms of praziquantel may cause drooling, drowsiness, loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea
- If your pet shows any of the above symptoms, or you notice anything else unusual, contact your veterinarian
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but some side effects occur more if using pyrantel pamoate combination products at the same time as organophosphate (found in some flea and tick products) or diethylcarbamazine (once-a-day heartworm preventives)
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if pet eats more than the prescribed amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING MEDICATION?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your pet need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your pet has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced digestive upset now or ever
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- If your pet is pregnant or nursing or if you plan to breed your pet
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medicines, praziquantel + pyrantel pamoate should only be given to the pet for which it was prescribed. It should be given only for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about praziquantel + pyrantel pamoate. If you have any questions or concerns about praziquantel + pyrantel pamoate or the condition it was prescribed for, contact your veterinarian.