Preventic® Tick Collar for Dogs
An effective tick collar that kills and detaches ticks for up to 3 months. Helps protects dogs over 12 weeks of age from Lyme disease and many other tick-borne diseases. The Amitraz Collar's activity starts within 24 hours and continues for 90 days and is not affected by rainfall. Available in 2 sizes (18 inches for dogs up to 60 lbs and 25 inches for dogs over 60 lbs).
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- Amitraz is an antiparasitic drug
- Amitraz is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI)
- Amitraz collars are worn around the dog's neck
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Used to kill ticks for 3 months. This product will kill and detach ticks. Prevention will last for up to 3 months. New ticks will not attach. The active ingredient is effective within 24 hours of application.
- Helps protect your dog from Lyme disease and more
- This product does not kill or control flea populations
WHAT DOGS/CATS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION?
- Dogs less than 12 weeks of age
- Use with caution on older, debilitated, pregnant or nursing dogs
- Pets taking MAOI drugs, tricyclic antidepressants, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or pressor agents
- Use with caution in diabetic pets
- Pets known to have had an allergic reaction to the amitraz or like products
Choose the length best suited to your dog's size.
Wearing rubber gloves, place collar around your dog's neck, fasten buckle and adjust for proper fit. Cut off and dispose of extra length. Collar should be tight enough that it touches skin and that the dog cannot remove it.
Wash hands with soap and water after applying the collar.
Check the collar periodically to ensure it has not loosened, and re-adjust as necessary.
Rainfall will not alter effectiveness, but remove the collar before bathing your dog. Re-apply when pet is dry.
Replace collar when effectiveness diminishes or every 3 months.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets. Children should not handle or play with this collar.
Call a health professional immediately if you or your pet accidentally consumes this product.
Do not reuse empty pouch, box or collar. Wrap in newspaper in put in trash collection.
Human diabetics and people taking MAOI's should use extreme caution when handling the Amitraz Collar.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Some dogs may be sensitive to this collar. Remove it at the first sign of irritation or adverse reactive, shampoo the dog with a non-pesticidal product and rinse well. If signs continue, contact your veterinarian immediately.
- If the collar is eaten by an unattended dog, signs of intoxication will show as severe depression. Contact your veterinarian immediately.
- Incoordination, slow heart rate, low body temperature, high blood sugar levels
- If you notice anything unusual, remove the collar immediately and contact your veterinarian
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but possible interactions may occur with fluoxetine, MAOI drugs, Mitaban Dip and meperidine.
- Before using this collar in conjunction with topical flea treatments (ex. Bio Spot® Spot On, Frontline®), consult your veterinarian.
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your pet seems incoordinated, is depressed, has a slow heart rate or has decreased body temperature.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING MEDICATION?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- Risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your pet has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced liver or kidney disease now or ever
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet's medicines can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant or nursing or if you plan to breed your pet
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medicines, the Amitraz Collar should only be used on the pet for which it was prescribed. It should be used only for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This product does not kill or control flea populations.
This is just a summary of information about the Amitraz Collar. If you have any questions or concerns about the Amitraz Collar or about ticks, contact your veterinarian.