PrivasanÂ® Antiseptic Ointment
Chlorhexidine ointment is a topical antiseptic ointment used to prevent and treat surface wound infections (bacterial, fungal, yeast and viral) in dogs, cats and horses. Chlorhexidine ointment is available in several sizes.
WHAT IS THIS DRUG?
- 1% or 2% Chlorhexidine acetate plus 10% stearyl alcohol
- An antiseptic ointment that provides a rapid and residual antimicrobial effect
- Chlorhexidine ointment is sold without a prescription (OTC/over the counter) but should only be used under the supervision of your veterinarian
- Registered for use in animals
- Used topically
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Used to treat and prevent surface wound infections (ie. not deep or puncture wounds)
Read and follow the label carefully.
Depending upon the type of lesion or wound, your veterinarian may want to perform a culture evaluation of the site prior to starting this medication.
For serious burns, deep or puncture wounds, contact your veterinarian
Surface wounds: Cleanse the affected area well. Apply ointment.
The frequency and length of use of this product depends upon the condition being treated and your animal’s response to the medication.
WHAT IF A TREATMENT IS MISSED?
If a treatment is missed, perform it as soon as you can. If it is already time for the next treatment, skip the missed treatment and go back to the normal schedule.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store at controlled room temperature 15-30°C (59-86°F). Keep container tightly close when not in use. Protect from freezing.
Avoid getting it in your animal’s eyes or mucous membranes. If contact is made, flush promptly and thoroughly with clean water.
Do not use in horses intended for human consumption.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and animals. For external animal use only.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- If redness, irritation or inflammation persists or increases, consult your veterinarian
- Hypersensitivity to Chlorhexidine ointment is rare, but if a reaction should occur, discontinue use
- If you notice any unusual symptoms, discontinue use and contact your veterinarian
CAN THIS DRUG BE USED WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Yes, but if your animal experiences any unusual reactions when using multiple medications, contact your veterinarian.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS MEDICATION?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your animal need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your animal has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your animal has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give your animal, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your animal's medicines can be given together.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medications, Chlorhexidine ointment should only be used on the animal for which it was prescribed.
Chlorhexidine ointment should also only be used for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Chlorhexidine ointment. If you have any questions or concerns about Chlorhexidine ointment or the condition it was prescribed for, please contact your veterinarian.