TRADE NAMES:Vetasyl Fiber Capsules for Pets
This product is a natural fiber source derived from the coating of a plant seed and is commonly used as a bulk-forming laxative. It is available as capsules and powders.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- This product passes through the intestines undigested and absorbs water in the colon resulting in the formation of larger and softer stool
- Given by mouth
REASONS FOR USING:
- As a laxative to assist in the management of constipation and megacolon
- To improve stool consistency in patients with inflammatory bowel disease, large bowel diarrhea, and anal gland disease
- To assist with management of hairballs in cats
WHAT DOGS/CATS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS PRODUCT?
- This product is not a substitute for appropriate veterinary care in cases of severe constipation
- This product is not a substitute for appropriate veterinary care in cases of an intestinal obstruction, blockage, or perforation
- This product should not be used in animals that are dehydrated or not consuming sufficient amounts of water
- This product should not be used if rapid intestinal emptying is required
- Safety in pregnant or nursing pets has not been established
- Pets with a known hypersensitivity to this product
Psyllium should be given according to your veterinarian’s recommendations.
Give the exact amount recommended and only as often as directed. The amount recommended and frequency of administration is often dependent upon the clinical response and initial reason for use. It may require up to 72 hours for a response to be noted.
This product is commonly mixed with wet food. Ensure that fresh water is available at all times. Ideally, give this product at the same time(s) daily.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Psyllium should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight. Protect from moisture.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- This product may cause flatulence
- This product could cause an esophageal or intestinal obstruction if access to water is limited
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your pet experiences any adverse reactions to this product
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- This product will affect the absorption of orally administered digoxin, salicylates, and nitrofurantoin
- Do not give new food or medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if pet receives more than the prescribed amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING THIS MEDICATION?Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your pet will need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
- If your pet has experienced side effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced digestive upset now or ever
- If your pet has experienced liver or kidney disease now or ever
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet's medicines can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant or nursing or if you plan to breed your pet
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment, particularly if the diarrhea or constipation persists for longer than 72 hours after initiation of treatment.
As with all prescribed medicines, Psyllium should only be given to the pet for which it was prescribed.
It should be given only for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Psyllium. If you have any questions or concerns about this product or for the condition it was recommended, please contact your veterinarian.