S-Adenosylmethionine + Silybin
Denamarin Chewable Tablets
S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe) + Silybin is used in pets to treat a variety of liver diseases. Two active ingredients have been combined into one tablet to protect and support your pet's liver when liver function is compromised.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- SAMe is a natural biochemical produced from the amino acid called methionine
- Silybin (milk thistle seed extract) acts as an antioxidant and free radical scavenger
- Given by mouth
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- To support proper liver function
- Improves glutathione levels (an antioxidant that protects cells from toxins)
- Protects liver cells from cellular death
- Repairs and regenerates liver cells
- Stimulates bile flow through the liver to aid in digestion and absorption of nutrients
- Eliminates toxins from the liver
WHAT DOGS/CATS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS PRODUCT?
- If your pet has had an earlier allergic reaction to SAMe or Silybin
Read and follow the label carefully.
SAMe + Silybin is usually given once daily initially and may later be maintained long-term on treatments given every second or third day.
Give on an empty stomach to increase absorption (at lease one hour before or two hours after feeding). Do not split or break tablets, but give whole.
The length of administration depends upon the reason for prescribing SAMe + Silybin. Acute or sudden onset conditions may show improvement within weeks. Chronic or long-standing conditions may require months or years of administration. Your veterinarian can best determine any dosage changes and duration of treatment.
Initial and then periodic blood testing can confirm reduction in your pet's liver enzyme values and indicate improvements in liver health.
Nutraceutical products are not regulated by the FDA. As such, they have not been required to go through the same rigorous testing for efficacy that drugs undergo. There may be great variation in strength between brands or even between batches of the same brand. Yet there are many quality products on the market that are made by reputable companies. Consult with your veterinarian to choose a sound product for your pet.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
SAMe + Silybin is sensitive to air and moisture. It is usually packaged in a blister pack. Leave them in the pack until ready to use. Do not break tablets.
Store in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight. Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- This product is usually well tolerated
- Possibility of vomiting
- If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE GIVEN WITH OTHER PRODUCTS/DRUGS?
- Yes, there are no known drug interactions with SAMe or Silybin
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if pet receives more than the prescribed amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING PRODUCT?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your pet need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
Tell your veterinarian about:
- If your pet has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet's medicines can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant or nursing or if you plan to breed your pet
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed products/medicines, SAMe + Silybin should only be given to the pet for which it was prescribed. It should be given only for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about SAMe + Silybin. If you have any questions or concerns about SAMe + Silybin or the condition it was prescribed for, contact your veterinarian.