Digestive enzymes PLUS supplements
A healthy digestive system is essential to the overall health of your pet. A normal intestinal tract can maintain the proper balance of harmful and beneficial bacteria. However, during times of stress and illness, intestinal imbalance can occur leading to changes with digestive function. Signs of digestive upset may include vomiting, diarrhea, and flatulence. Digestive enzyme PLUS supplements are available in the form of powders and capsules.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- Digestive enzymes are commonly derived from plants and support intestinal health by assisting with digestion and increasing absorption of nutrients
- Digestive enzyme products may contain any of the following enzymes:
- Amylase which assists with starch digestion
- Cellulase which assists with cellulose digestion
- Lipase which assists with triglyceride or fat digestion
- Protease which assists with protein digestion
- Digestive enzyme PLUS supplements may contain any of the following ingredients:
- Probiotics such as Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and Streptococcus are live and naturally occurring microorganisms that help to restore balance in the digestive system
- Prebiotics are complex carbohydrates such as fructooligosaccharides (FOS) and mannanoligosaccharides (MOS) which support probiotics and help to maintain normal balance in the digestive system
- Vitamins work to ensure normal body functions and contribute to the overall health and well-being of your pet
- Antioxidants are substances that can protect cells in the body
WHAT DOGS/CATS SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS PRODUCT?
- Safe use in pregnant and breeding animals has not been established
- This product should not be used in animals that are critically ill, dehydrated, have severe vomiting, or are immunocompromised
- Pets with a known hypersensitivity to these products
- Pets that have had an earlier allergic reaction to a similar product
Digestive enzyme PLUS supplements should be given according to your veterinarian’s instructions. Read and follow the product label carefully. Depending on your pet’s response, your veterinarian may adjust the administration amount.
It is recommended that this supplement be given for only as long as your veterinarian directs as these supplements are commonly intended for intermittent or supplemental feeding.
It is ideal to give this supplement at the same time daily.
Supplements are not regulated by the FDA. As such, they have not been required to go through the same rigorous testing for efficacy that drugs undergo and many products are not created equally. Many products on the market are high quality and are made by reputable companies. Consult with your veterinarian to choose the right product for your pet.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Digestive enzyme PLUS supplements should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- This product is usually well tolerated and adverse reactions are uncommon at recommended doses
- There can be a concern with overdosing and toxicities when giving multiple supplements. Talk to your veterinarian about all of the supplements you are currently giving your pet.
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your pet experiences any adverse reactions to this product
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Many digestive supplements can delay absorption of other medications
- It is ideal to administer this type of supplement 2 hours before or after other medications (especially antibiotics)
- Do not give new food, supplements, or medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your pet receives more than the recommended amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING THIS PRODUCT?Talk to your veterinarian about:
- The signs of digestive upset that you have noted
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this supplement
- When your pet may need to be re-examined
- What are the risks and benefits of using this supplement
- If your pet has experienced side effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies
- If your pet has experienced digestive upset now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet’s medications can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant, nursing or if you plan to breed your pet in the near future
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your pet’s condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all supplements, it should only be given to the pet for which it was recommended.
This is just a summary of information about Digestive enzyme PLUS supplements. If you have any questions or concerns about this product or for the condition it was recommended, please contact your veterinarian.