Sodium Bicarbonate 8.4%
Sodium bicarbonate is an alkalinizing solution that is used to increase the pH level of the blood. This product is available in a variety of concentrations and is commonly administered intravenously.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- An injectable solution to increase the pH level of the blood
Sodium bicarbonate is commonly administered by a veterinarian as an accurate assessment of your animal is required to determine the type and severity of the medical condition.
If you are advised to give sodium bicarbonate to your animal, follow your veterinarian’s directions carefully.
Give the exact amount recommended and only as often as directed.
Baseline blood work may be recommended to assess your animal’s general health before starting this therapy.
Ongoing laboratory evaluation may be necessary to monitor fluid balance, electrolyte changes and acid-base status.
Dose adjustments will be made based upon these results and an assessment of how your animal is responding clinically.
If you are unsure how your animal will react to an injection, request assistance or demonstration by your veterinarian.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
WHAT ANIMALS SHOULD NOT USE THIS PRODUCT?
- This product is not for use in patients with a metabolic or respiratory alkalosis
- Caution is advised if this product is used in animals with low calcium (hypocalcemia)
- Not for use in animals with a known hypersensitivity to this product
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Sodium bicarbonate should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- An inappropriate volume or rapid administration can be harmful to your animal
- Inappropriate injection and delivery technique or use of non-sterile materials can result in a fever and infection of the injection site or vein
- All injectable medication has the potential to cause an immediate allergic or anaphylactic reaction. Affected animals may have a swelling, hives, changes in respiration, and display signs of agitation. This can be a severe and life threatening reaction; immediate veterinary care may be required.
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your animal experiences any adverse reactions to this product
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your animal receives more than the recommended amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING THIS PRODUCT?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- What laboratory tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment
- When your animal may need to be re-examined
- What are the risks and benefits of using this form of therapy
- If your animal has experienced side effects on other drugs/products
- If your animal has experienced any other medical problems or allergies
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give your animal, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your animal’s medications can be given together.
- If your animal is pregnant, nursing or if you plan to breed in the near future
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal’s condition does not improve or worsens despite use of this product.
Check with the appropriate regulatory body regarding the use in competition horses.
This is just a summary of information about Sodium bicarbonate. If you have any questions or concerns about this product, please contact your veterinarian.