Feed-through Fly Preventive for Horses
This product affects the development of immature houseflies and stable flies. The immature larvae or maggots are unable to mature into adult flies after ingestion of manure from treated horses. This product is available as a feed additive.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- Active ingredient is cyromazine which is an insect growth regulator (IGR)
- Added to grain or mixed daily into ration
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Cyromazine disrupts the the development of maggots into adult flies and aids in controlling fly populations
Feed-though Fly Preventive for Horses should be used according to your veterinarian’s instructions. Read and follow the product label carefully regarding directions for use.
This product is commonly used early in the spring prior to fly season beginning and continued until the fall when the weather inhibits fly development.
Give the exact amount recommended and only as often as directed.
Inappropriate use of this product can result in ineffective fly control.
This additive can be top-dressed on the grain or mixed into the daily ration.
It is important to feed horses individually to ensure that appropriate doses are ingested.
Ideally, give this additive at the same time(s) daily.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Feed-through Fly Preventive for Horses should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
Avoid having this product released into the ground or free-running water as it poses an environmental hazard to aquatic life.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally ingest this product.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your horse experiences any adverse reactions to this medication
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your horse receives more than the prescribed amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- Supplemental fly control measures including appropriate sanitation management
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
- If your horse has experienced side effects on other drugs/products
- If your horse has experienced any other medical problems or allergies
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your horse or plan to give your horse, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your horse’s medications can be given together.
- If your mare is pregnant, nursing or if you plan to breed in the near future
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Appropriate fly control measures are still required as this product is not effective against existing adult flies.
This product should not be used in horses intended for human consumption.
Check with the appropriate regulatory body regarding the use in competition horses.
As with all prescribed medication, Feed-though Fly Preventive for Horses should only be given to the horse for which it was prescribed.
It should be given only for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Feed-though Fly Preventive for Horses. If you have any questions or concerns about this product or for the condition it was prescribed, please contact your veterinarian.