Sterile water (Rx)
TRADE NAMES:Sterile Water
Sterile Water for Injection
Sterile Water for Injection USP
Sterile Water for Injection, USP
Veterinary Sterile Water for Injection, USP
Sterile water is commonly used to dilute a medication prior to injection and can also be used for vaccines and other dessicated drugs that need to be re-hydrated and dissolved prior to administration.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- A form of sterile fluid
REASONS FOR USING:
- This product is used to prepare other injectable medications
Sterile water is commonly used by your veterinarian to administer other medications or vaccines.
If you are advised to use sterile water for the preparation of a medication or vaccine for your animal at home, follow your veterinarian’s directions carefully.
If you are unsure how your animal will react to an injection, request assistance or demonstration by your veterinarian.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
WHAT ANIMALS SHOULD NOT USE THIS PRODUCT?
- Sterile water is only for intravenous use after a suitable medications has been added. It is not intended for intravenous use without an additive
- Not for use in animals with a known hypersensitivity to this product
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Sterile water should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
It is important to discard any unused portion as this product does not contain an antimicrobial and do not store this product after a medication has been added
Inspect sterile water prior to use; it should be clear, lack discoloration and the container should be undamaged.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- Injection of this product intravenously without an additive can result in severe damage to red blood cells (hemolysis)
- Fluid therapy can result in changes to electrolyte levels
- Too much fluid therapy can cause clinical signs of breathing difficulty
- Inappropriate injection and delivery technique or use of non-sterile materials can result in a fever and infection of the injection site or vein
- All injectable medications have the potential to cause an immediate allergic or anaphylactic reaction. Affected animals may have a swelling, hives, changes in respiration, and display signs of agitation. This can be a severe and life threatening reaction, immediate veterinary care may be required.
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your animal experiences any adverse reactions to this product
CAN THIS PRODUCT BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Do not give new food or medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your animal experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your animal receives more than the recommended amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT?
Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When you animal will need to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment
- What are the risks and benefits of using this form of therapy
- If your animal has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your animal has experienced digestive upset now or ever
- If your animal has experienced liver or kidney disease now or ever
- If your animal has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your animal’s medications can be given together.
- If your animal is pregnant, nursing or if you plan to breed your animal
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal’s condition does not improve or worsens despite use of this product.
Check with the appropriate regulatory body regarding the use in competition horses.
This is just a summary of information about Sterile water. If you have any questions or concerns about this product, please contact your veterinarian.