This product is a nutritional supplement containing L-Lysine which is an important amino acid for cats suffering from chronic viral conditions, specifically upper respiratory and ocular infections caused by the feline Herpes virus. As with many Herpes viruses, there is no cure and recurrent infections are common during times of stress. Supplementing with L-Lysine can affect viral replication and reduce the severity and frequency of these flare-ups as well as decrease viral shedding in these cats. This product is given by mouth and is commonly available in the form of a powder, gel, paste, and treats.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
This product contains L-Lysine, an amino acid
L-Lysine supplements should be given according to your veterinarian’s instructions. Read and follow the product label carefully as there are commonly different doses prescribed based on your cat’s age and varying recommendations if using the product for maintenance versus if using the product to reduce clinical signs during an active infection.
Some products require long term usage. It is recommended that this supplement be given for as long as your veterinarian directs. Dose adjustments may be made based upon an assessment of how your cat is responding clinically.
It is ideal to give this supplement at the same time daily. This product can be placed on your cat’s nose to stimulate an initial interest and then can be offered on your fingertip, on a teaspoon, or mixed directly into their food.
Supplements are not regulated by the FDA. As such, they have not been required to go through the same rigorous testing for efficacy that drugs undergo. Many products on the market are high quality and are made by reputable companies. Consult with your veterinarian to choose the right product for your pet.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, give it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not give two doses at the same time.
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
L-Lysine supplements should be stored in a childproof container in a cool, dry place at room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
Call your physician immediately if you accidentally take this product.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- This product is usually well tolerated and adverse reactions are uncommon at recommended doses
- Notify your veterinarian immediately if your pet experiences any adverse reactions to this product
CAN THIS DRUG BE GIVEN WITH OTHER DRUGS?
- Commonly used in combination with other medications to treat infections
- Do not give new food or medications without first talking to your veterinarian
- If your pet experiences any unusual reactions when taking multiple medications, contact your veterinarian
Contact your veterinarian immediately if your pet receives more than the recommended amount.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK A VETERINARIAN BEFORE GIVING THIS PRODUCT?Talk to your veterinarian about:
- The signs of infection that you have observed
- Ways to reduce stress and improve environmental enrichment for your cat
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this supplement
- When your pet may need to be re-examined
- What are the risks and benefits of using this supplement
- If your pet has experienced side effects on other drugs/products
- If your pet has experienced any other medical problems or allergies
- If your pet has experienced digestive upset now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your pet or plan to give your pet, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your pet’s medications can be given together.
- If your pet is pregnant, nursing or if you plan to breed your pet in the near future
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your pet’s condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all supplements, it should only be given to the pet for which it was recommended.
This is just a summary of information about L-Lysine supplements. If you have any questions or concerns about this product or for the condition it was recommended, please contact your veterinarian.