Zymox® Topical Spray with Hydrocortisone
Hydrocortisone topical spray
Hydrocortisone topical spray is a topical anti-inflammatory agent used for the temporary relief of itching due to minor skin irritations, allergy conditions, insect bites, etc. This spray is specifically formulated for the topical treatment of dermatologic conditions responsive to corticosteroids. For use in dogs, cats and horses. Hydrocortisone topical spray is available in several sizes.
WHAT IS THIS PRODUCT?
- Hydrocortisone is a member of the glucocorticoid class of hormones; a steroid
- Some products have additional ingredients (e.g. oatmeal and/or aloe to soothe and moisturize the skin; or astringents like witch hazel to reduce swelling and relieve skin irritation)
- Used topically
REASONS FOR PRESCRIBING:
- Used to temporarily control itching and inflammation associated with allergies, insect bites and other dermatologic conditions
- May also be used to treat other conditions, as directed by your veterinarian
Some products require shaking before use. Check your product label.
Hold sprayer 4-6 inches away from affected area.
Apply every 8-12 hours directly to the affected skin areas until relief is achieved, or as directed by your veterinarian.
Do not use more than 3 to 4 times a day.
For best results, cleanse skin prior to treatment by using a shampoo recommended by your veterinarian.
Apply enough spray to wet the affected area(s) but do not spray so much that the product runs off.
If your pet has a dermatologic infection as well, an appropriate antifungal or antibiotic may have been prescribed as well.
This product is not intended for prolonged use.
Wash hands after each use.
WHAT IF A DOSE IS MISSED?
If a dose is missed, apply it as soon as you can. If it is time already for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the normal schedule. Do not apply a double dose.
WHAT ANIMALS SHOULD NOT USE THIS MEDICATION?
- Breeding, pregnant or nursing animals
- Animals with infections unless antimicrobial (antibiotics) therapy is also given
- Use with caution in diabetics or those with Cushing’s disease (hyperadrenocorticism)
- If your animal has had an allergic reaction to Hydrocortisone or other steroids
STORAGE AND WARNINGS:
Store in at controlled room temperature away from heat and direct sunlight.
For external use on animals only.
Do not use this product in eyes or nose. In case of contact with eyes, flush with water and seek medical attention if irritation persists.
Use in a well-ventilated area. Wash your hands after use.
If the spray causes irritation to mucous membranes, discontinue.
Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
Do not allow ingestion of this product. Call your physician immediately if you accidentally ingest this product.
POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS:
- If redness, irritation, or swelling persists or increases, discontinue use and consult your veterinarian
- The most common side effect of ingesting topical steroids (or if using large quantities) is increased drinking and urination. Less commonly, you may notice an increased appetite plus weight gain, panting, diarrhea, vomiting, and behavioral changes.
- If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian
Overdosing is unlikely to occur if used as directed, but contact your veterinarian immediately if you suspect an overdose, or if you observe any unusual signs.
WHAT TO TELL/ASK VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS MEDICATION?Talk to your veterinarian about:
- When will your animal needs to be rechecked
- What tests may need to be performed prior to and during treatment with this drug
- What are the risks and benefits of using this drug
- If your animal has experienced side-effects on other drugs/products
- If your animal has experienced digestive upset now or ever
- If your animal has experienced liver or kidney disease now or ever
- If your animal has experienced any other medical problems or allergies now or ever
- All medicines and supplements that you are giving your animal or plan to give your animal, including those you can get without a prescription. Your veterinarian may want to check that all of your animal's medicines can be given together.
- If your animal is pregnant or nursing or if you plan to breed your animal
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
Notify your veterinarian if your animal's condition does not improve or worsens despite this treatment.
As with all prescribed medicines, Hydrocortisone topical spray should only be used on the pet for which it was prescribed. It should be used for the condition for which it was prescribed.
This is just a summary of information about Hydrocortisone topical spray. If you have any questions or concerns about Hydrocortisone topical spray or for the condition it was prescribed, contact your veterinarian.